How Many Times Does It Take You To Get The Hub Bearings Just Right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I replaced the back axle six months ago because it had a very slight bend in it. I went over a low hydrant cover on a bit of fast downhill which made a fair old jolt.

The new axle is still perfectly straight when extracted, but I wonder how straight it is when it's actually under load?

If you've bent an axle in the frame it's likely that the dropouts are now misaligned. Every subsequent axle you bolt into that frame will be subjected to a preload as a result, and be more inclined to bend. It's always worth getting your dropouts aligned after bending an axle.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If you've bent an axle in the frame it's likely that the dropouts are now misaligned.
The rear wheel runs dead centre of the seat stays (to the millimetre) so I'm pretty confident that the dropouts are good.

What I see when I look at the cups (back wheel off, bearings removed), is that the polish mark (where the bearings press) is wider on one side of the drive side cup than the other.

At the moment, all I have to do is re-tension the bearings every five hundred miles or so but it's still a proper pain in the arse to be honest.

I get a few hundred miles of perfection and then an annoying clicking sound at high speed as the wheel starts to wobble a bit from side to side.

The rear wheel runs dead centre of the seat stays (to the millimetre) so I'm pretty confident that the dropouts are good.

What I see when I look at the cups (back wheel off, bearings removed), is that the polish mark (where the bearings press) is wider on one side of the drive side cup than the other.

At the moment, all I have to do is re-tension the bearings every five hundred miles or so but it's still a proper pain in the arse to be honest.

I get a few hundred miles of perfection and then an annoying clicking sound at high speed as the wheel starts to wobble a bit from side to side.
The alignment of the rear wheel in the frame is not a measure of how parallel the drop outs are.

Top Bottom