How many trusses per tomato plant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
View attachment 818934

The tragedy is, I can see they're going to really hit their peak in a couple of weeks, at which point we'll be on holiday and our bonanza will be in the care of our daughter...who doesn't like tomatoes. :wacko:

Pick them, roast in the oven with olive oil and then freeze in portion sizes. If anything the flavour intensifies.

I add different things to mine, garlic (usually), shallots, a few herbs either dry or fresh. It's a great way to store an excess of tomatoes.
 

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Location
Canonbie
Going back to the original question about trusses my professional gardener friend says four per plant in a home greenhouse - this is after seeing how wild my greenhouse is (I blame not being able to get in at the vital time because of wearing a moon boot).
 
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Squire
Going back to the original question about trusses my professional gardener friend says four per plant in a home greenhouse - this is after seeing how wild my greenhouse is (I blame not being able to get in at the vital time because of wearing a moon boot).

Wow! Four per plant, in a greenhouse! That seems very odd to me. I mean, even making allowances for region & climate change, I would've thought many more. Mine are outdoors and I reckon if I'd stopped 'em at four they'd be all but done in a fortnight. As things stand they're doubke that and more, and I'm beginning to wonder should I have left them longer.

Thanks for the storage tips. I guess the simplest is to ask dear daughter to crop and add to a fridge punnet or two. As for roasting, we're certainly thinking in terms of a bit of DIY 'sun-dried' in the event of a full-on glut :sun:
 
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Squire
The last hurrah...

photo_2026-09-29_14-47-55.jpg


*sigh*

It's been great!

FWIW, I think if anything I did stop them too early. It was at least partly because I wanted to encourage early fruits to ripen, which stopping new trusses does, apparently, but with hindsight I think I cut too much too soon. We did get a lot of tomatoes - and they were really nice! - but I think we could have got quite a lot more if I'd given the plants their heads a bit more. Apart from anything else, they're all cherry tomatoes, so even a full truss isn't actually that much tomato! Anyway, these are the last of 'em. Delicious to the end!
 

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Location
Canonbie
Well done!

I've had pounds and pounds of tomatoes but they were all wooly and not pleasant to eat raw. Two varieties were supposed to be cherry tomatoes but all the fruits were much bigger than that.

They've only been nice to eat once roasted so I've been eating roasted tomatoes, freezing roasted tomatoes and making roasted tomato soup. There are still more ripening but I might give up on them soon.
 

Reynard

Legendary Member
I've had loads of tomatoes (4 plants, all cherry varieties) this year, but they're pretty well much on their last hurrah now. They've all been really lovely, although I probably won't have they yellow ones next year. Nothing wrong with them, just that the others were nicer.

The purple ones (black cherry) were a revelation. Sooooo tasty! I'll save some seed just in case I can't get them next year.

Given how hot it's been, having them in semi-shade worked really well. They may not have been quite as sweet, but the plants were less stressed in the heat. Only downside, is with the rain, the fruits have been splitting. Not a problem, I just made jars of marinara sauce.
 
Top Bottom