how many tubs do you take with you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the OP did mean tubs - I've never used them.

Tubes - I carry two plus a puncture kit.

briank

If you're on your own - or the others are all running clinchers - then two feels safer, though bulky. One plus sealant is maybe best. Of course if others in the group are also on tubs one each is plenty.

OP
OP
A

ashtons99

ColinJ said:
If the OP did mean tubs - I've never used them.

Tubes - I carry two plus a puncture kit.

Yes, certainly did mean tubs - for some reason although the bike rolls far better on them than clinchers and probably less likely to "pinch" or impact punctures they somehow feel more vulnerable.

As long as Im not being overly paranoid Im happy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Despite having used 'both' for over 20 years, there is still the same questions......?

As a TT'er I used expensive tubs..... talking Wolber Profil rims. 19 mm Tubs at 150 PSI ...and trained on Mavic rims and Mich Axial...or what ever was the old Pro tyres.....

TBH not much difference.... dunno, because Cheshire roads are 'orrible....... and rough.

For every day.. hp/open/normal/tyres.... quality then you pay what you like...

Race etc..... dunno really..... I think clinchers are pretty darn good now, Michelin said they were better 15 years ago........ only point is pinch punctures.......... (same argument 15 years ago).......

Top 'clinchers' vs top tubs is close....... but heavy duty tyres vs race tyres..loads...makes any bike go better........

TUBS are for races...........

marxist_fixie

Proper tea is theft [with apologies to Prodhom]
If i were running tubs...about 10...as i have no luck with them...prefer them....back on clinchers..easier t repair n the road

mattsccm

1 spare even in the woods. So rarely get a puncture with a tub they solidify into shape under the saddle. Much prefer glue over tape as its easier to use and better when wet. use a second hand/used tub as a spare and it will have some glue on it. so will the rim. As fast as a clincher to replace and psychologically nicer on fast down hills where you know they will stay on when punctured. Only ever done about 3 roadside repairs in 30 years of use. Only raced them for 3 years , after that just too tight to change. get cheap old good ones from old style shops who have old freewheel hubbed wheels in the celler. Tenner gets a pair with tubs.

Top Bottom