How mountain bikey worthy is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
GetAttachment.aspx

Had this bike stolen - getting it back soon.

Used to use it just for commuting, was my only bike - however I purchased a road bike (well...two road bikes :becool: ) then got into cycling pretty seriously. Hopefull I will be getting this bike back within the next two months and I have toyed with the idea of doing some proper MTBing with it - however I am unsure if it is a proper mountain bike, or just a hybrid

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
(mudguards and stand would of course come off for serious mtbing)

bonj2

it's not THAT bad, for a cross country bike, its forks are a bit puny and geometry a bit upright for fast, rough descending though.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bonj has hit the nail on the proverbial. It all depends on your version of MTBing. It would do nicely on most blue trails, and no doubt some reds. It will eat towpaths and flattish trails for breakfast. The forks will speak for themselves on bumps and jumps, and by that I mean you will learn their limitations and either adapt your style to suit, or be motivated to save and upgrade! Get out and ride it. Above all don't be suckered into spending hundreds on bling just 'cos of market pressure. If mag reviews were to be believed, none of would be able to hop up a kerb without carbon monocoques.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Thanks Bonj and Cubist :biggrin:
Well - I don't really plan on upgrading as all my cash goes towards my road bike(s) (hides from diehard mountain bikers lurking on this thread) ..... but going out for a mountain bike ride here and there would add some variety to my training.

I guess I may need to invest in some mtb shoes along with spd pedals - though that is something to look at for a furture date (costly!) .... unless I can get away with using spd SL road pedals + shoes :biggrin: .... though the prospect of unclipping and sinking those cleats into a few inches of mud isn't the greatest.

Looking forward to getting the bike back !

Cubist

Still wavin'
What's the story? How did you get it back?

Invest in some SPDs and shoes, you'll not regret it. With a pair of Lidl shoes and some secondhand SPDs I got young Cubester up and running for just over 32 quid. Plenty of M520s on fleabay for 20 quid, excellent pedals if the members of this forum are anything to go by, and you can get some named shoes for the price of a pair of decent trainers!

i'd happily ride that down anything but a competition DH trail provided i had a bit of crotch room :ohmy:

its a mountain bike, its designed for cross country, bridalways, small hops and jumps but will withstand anything you are confident and competent riding it over.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
i'd happily ride that down anything but a competition DH trail provided i had a bit of crotch room :sad:

its a mountain bike, its designed for cross country, bridalways, small hops and jumps but will withstand anything you are confident and competent riding it over.
Awesome!!
What's the story? How did you get it back?

Invest in some SPDs and shoes, you'll not regret it. With a pair of Lidl shoes and some secondhand SPDs I got young Cubester up and running for just over 32 quid. Plenty of M520s on fleabay for 20 quid, excellent pedals if the members of this forum are anything to go by, and you can get some named shoes for the price of a pair of decent trainers!

Basically, bike locked up, bike stolen, police find a few days later as the thieves tried to sell to a cash converter - but the person they were selling to checked their history to see they had sold 7 bikes in around 4 days....so they get nicked, bike now being held as evidence :biggrin:

I used to have some very nice mtb pedals+shoes which I was using on my road bike.....but upgraded and flogged the shoes and pedals to my old man .....oops...£32 is pretty dandy for pedals+shoes! Hopefully plenty of one sided spd's on ebay aswell....spd one side, normal pedal the other.

Top Bottom