How much climbing do you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pw2389

stevenb said:
Theres a nice 1 in 3 climb right near me.....

Patrick Stevens said:
Whereabouts in Dunstable is this? I recall Dunstable as being rather flat. Church Hill, Glyn Ceiriog is 1 in 4 and that's pretty steep.

Dunstable isn't flat as it's at the tail end of the Chilterns (the London Gliding Club is just outside Dunstable). That said I can't recall a 1 in 3 climb, so, yes, where is this, stevenb? The steepest I know in that area is the climb from the B489 up to Whipsnade but the sign says it's 16% i.e. about 1 in 6.

Getting back on topic, I have absolutely no idea how much climbing I do on a bike run. My computer doesn't have an altimeter xx( How do you guys know what you've done (a bit time-consuming going over the OS map, I'd have thought)?

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
pw2389 said:
Getting back on topic, I have absolutely no idea how much climbing I do on a bike run. My computer doesn't have an altimeter xx( How do you guys know what you've done (a bit time-consuming going over the OS map, I'd have thought)?
I (recently) have been using www.mapmyride.com which will work it out for you. I know Dunstable too...some nice hills thereabouts...

yenrod

I was on a 25mlr last night and some lads (on proper road bikes cycling gear) quite youngish one up in front of me upon turning a corner/roundabout then one appeared to my right just before turning...and instead of following the last lad sprinted past me at the bottom of this hill and as I pretty much had the route planned out - as I rode past I said 'why not try a constant pace up a hill...'

I t was just strange as he was a fair distance behind his 'mate' yet you'd have thought he'd have tagged on and then caught his friend that way via me but inexperience showed - maybe he'll think of that when he loses his race (maybe) cause he was out smarted........

Though maybe he wanted to ride with a proper rider...xx(

:sad: :eek: :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
28 mile route, 1000 ft climbs, not a bad run ! Potts Shrigley/Disley/New Mills - a quick 1h 40 spin......

Great site... and google earth 3D link too - fab.... might put all my rides on here as the wife moans she has no idea where I go... sounds reasonable.... fun to fiddle with...... mapmyride.com

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I like to mix my riding with flatish rides for going fast and hilly hard rides for fun and scenery I've no idea how much climbing I actually do. Some rides are very hard and hilly and some just flat. Variety xx(

Johnny Thin

I love climbing too - on my touring recumbent. In 2006 I became the first person to complete the Kidderminster Killer audax on a 2-wheeled bent, I've done this 3x in all and never walked any of it. Once you've got to the top of a tough climb you feel the world's your oyster and nothing can touch you.

Top Bottom