How much did an LP cost in 1971?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
....'cos I've just bought the superb, wonderful, melodic Blue by Joni Mitchell on CD for £3.88.

Just listened to it three times from end to end while reminiscing about the seventies, when my elder sister had it on LP. But it's better now because you don't get all the pops and crackles and there's no need to jump up half way to turn it over.

terry huckle

Yes, I`ve got it on CD, audio cassette and LP. I bought the latter when it came out, but it`s in a box right at the back of a cupboard.

I may start an expedition to discover it tomorrow, to see if it has a price marked upon it.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
37s/6d I seem to recall was the price of almost all LPs, except samplers pre decimalisation and VAT. Considering a pint of beer was around 3 bob when I was an illegal underage drinker, that was pretty darned expensive.

bof said:
37s/6d I seem to recall was the price of almost all LPs, except samplers pre decimalisation and VAT. Considering a pint of beer was around 3 bob when I was an illegal underage drinker, that was pretty darned expensive.

thirty seven and sixpence is my recollection - although I remember beer for 1 shilling and tenpence ha'penny....

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
It wasn't so many years ago that a GF and I went into a pub on the A5 in Bethesda, that noted Welsh village of pro-English sentiment, to buy a drink. The barmaid told her with a gleam of anticipation in her eye "That will be nineteen shillings and nine pence please!"

My GF fell straight into the trap: "Oh!" she laughed, "is that more or less than a pound? I can't remember!"

This was exactly what the Welsh harpy was waiting for; she let rip in a voice that could abort a sheep: "I can tell you're English; you've no education!"

Alan Biles

I remember in 1968 buying Sgt Peppers for 32/6d and Witchita Lineman (for my mother of course) for 7/6d. That kicked a serious hole in my £4/4/0 week's pay and I had to walk to work a couple of times that week.

A

Alan Biles said:
I remember in 1968 buying Sgt Peppers for 32/6d and Witchita Lineman (for my mother of course) for 7/6d. That kicked a serious hole in my £4/4/0 week's pay and I had to walk to work a couple of times that week.

A

Ah, if only you had a bike! :biggrin:

Rigid Raider said:
....'cos I've just bought the superb, wonderful, melodic Blue by Joni Mitchell on CD for £3.88.

Just listened to it three times from end to end while reminiscing about the seventies, when my elder sister had it on LP. But it's better now because you don't get all the pops and crackles and there's no need to jump up half way to turn it over.

I've just dug out Clouds by Joni Mitchell on Reprise Records RSLP 6341 and the slip cover is marked £2.15 reduced to £1.96. Clouds was released in May 1969, the year SWMBO and I got married.

Side 1 is declicked, side 2 to be done then out to a single cd.

And yes, it was released in 1969 but my copy was marked up, and bought, after decimalisation.

betty swollocks

large member
In 1972, I got my first ever summer job digging roads....for the princely sum of 33p per hour. At the end of my first week's work, I had £14 and spent 98p of that on ELP's first album. I still have it with the price sticker on the cover.

ChrisKH

Guru
Surely this would have been in new pounds and pence as decimalisation occurred in February 1971 (I remember it well; three years of pound, shillings and pence schooling up the swanee and quite rightly so). £2.99 - £3.50 rings a bell but this was when I embarked on my musical purchases in 1975/76. And we know what inflation was like then because of the government of the day, strikes, power cuts, tank tops, elasticated belts, Choppers, jumpers for goal posts.......................

Top Bottom