How much difference will

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Two and a half mm make? The bottom bracket on my Touche is clapped out, they don't last long, and this time I am going to change it myself, the LBS has done it before. The bottom bracket is an ISIS one with an axle length that is supposed to be 110.5mm, but they seem to be rare as hens teeth. So at first I am going to dismantle it and find out what the LBS fitted. But if I decide to put in a bottom bracket with an axle length of 108mm will it cause problems?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
What about one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-FITTI...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item588621f2ee I got one of this guy, no problems so far. If you are using a square taper crank.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

totallyfixed said:
As a matter of interest Dave, how many miles do you reckon you have done on the Touche? I have one too and as near as dammit I think I've done about 12000 mls with no problems so far [touches head quickly].

I do about five thousand miles a year between two bikes with the Touche doing most of the mileage. I've had the Touche about two and a half years and I reckon its done between seven and eight thousand miles. I had to change the front wheel to cure a brake judder problem and it has a healthy appetite for bottom brackets apart from that its been fine. It gets through bottom brackets in about twelve months, though this one has started clicking after only six months. I suspect the ISIS bottom brackets are a bit delicate for a fixed. I am thinking of changing the chain set later on and using a different bottom bracket. The touche gets used for commuting and winter club runs and is my favourite bike.

02GF74

Über Member
dave r said:
Two and a half mm make?
The bottom bracket is an ISIS one with an axle length that is supposed to be 110.5mm,

bottom bracket with an axle length of 108mm will it cause problems?

assuming symmetry, that is 1.7 mm each side. it will bring in pedals and chainwheel neearer the frame.

so
a. check there is clearance between the cranks and chain stays.
b. check front derailleur can be adjsuted for the range.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

02GF74 said:
assuming symmetry, that is 1.7 mm each side. it will bring in pedals and chainwheel neearer the frame.

so
a. check there is clearance between the cranks and chain stays.
b. check front derailleur can be adjsuted for the range.

There is plenty of clearance with the cranks and chainring so I am not anticipating any problems there and the bike is fixed so there's no front mech to worry about. I was more concerned about problems with cranks and bottom bracket and the fitting of the cranks. I suspect that I may find that the LBS have fitted a 108 when I strip it down, if so I have nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

I have the answer to my question now. I have stripped out the bottom bracket, first time I have done that since the days of cups and loose ball bearings, and it has a 108 in there. The question now is do I replace or not? I am sure the source of the clicking is in the bb, but it feels smooth running, and there's no play. Every thing else I have checked is OK and I can't think of any thing else it could be. ;):wacko::smile:

Top Bottom