How much do you pay each year to commute by bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Drive train replaced at least twice a year. Free loan of a bike whilst the parts were changed & the bike serviced. Over a £100 each time. Aside from damage to the tyres, very little else was spent.

That seems a lot (twice a year) but then I am not sure how long or taxing the commute is. Presumably, the chain stretches enough every six months to require a new drive train. I am not saying it isn't warranted but 6 months does not seem that long to wear out a chain sufficiently to require a drive train replacement. I am not saying it is not justified, I am just curious why? How often do you oil/clean/mickle the chain?

I used to change the chain regularly to try and make the cassette last longer but after a while, I concluded it was not worth it and changed strategy to just riding everything into the ground. So far I have lasted about 1.5 years but recently the chain has started slipping so I am probably at beginning of the terminal stage. I will replace the cassette and the chain but I am hopeful the chainset will still have some life in it (but in any case, I have about 4 old chainsets which I got from the Reading Bicycle Kitchen (and similar place like in this link: http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/recycling/).

classic33

Leg End Member
That seems a lot (twice a year) but then I am not sure how long or taxing the commute is. Presumably, the chain stretches enough every six months to require a new drive train. I am not saying it isn't warranted but 6 months does not seem that long to wear out a chain sufficiently to require a drive train replacement. I am not saying it is not justified, I am just curious why? How often do you oil/clean/mickle the chain?

I used to change the chain regularly to try and make the cassette last longer but after a while, I concluded it was not worth it and changed strategy to just riding everything into the ground. So far I have lasted about 1.5 years but recently the chain has started slipping so I am probably at beginning of the terminal stage. I will replace the cassette and the chain but I am hopeful the chainset will still have some life in it (but in any case, I have about 4 old chainsets which I got from the Reading Bicycle Kitchen (and similar place like in this link: http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/recycling/).
It used to be around the 7,000 miles mark.

si_c

Guru

A couple of winters ago I was replacing a chain every 1000mi or so - approximately 6 weeks - because of the salt and muck on the road. Chain life depends a lot on the conditions and how clean you are able to keep your bike.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I work it out on I save £7 each time I commute on the bike in fuel (24 mile round trip and the train tickets £8.20) . I commuted 125 times last year and made a note of everything I bought relating to the bike (including the total cost of a new bike in September, £320 with cycle 2 work ,even though that will be spread over this year) in that 12 months and I was still £350 up :okay: .
This year I would hope to save about £600 minimum, not planning on buying anything specifically for the bike but parts made need replacing and accidents do happen.......
The main reason I commute is because as a rule I enjoy it and it incorporates my exercise time into my commute ^_^

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If I didn't keep rescuing and restoring old bikes...

A chain
A tyre
A fraction of a bottle of Finish Line wet lube
A fraction of a pair of brake pads
A LOT of shower gel

Probably £40. Shower gel is £15 of that.

It's a fixie and the ring and sprocket are new and 1/8", so they will last until I retire.

vickster

Legendary Member
If I didn't keep rescuing and restoring old bikes...

A chain
A tyre
A fraction of a bottle of Finish Line wet lube
A fraction of a pair of brake pads
A LOT of shower gel

Probably £40. Shower gel is £15 of that.

It's a fixie and the ring and sprocket are new and 1/8", so they will last until I retire.
Would you not use the shower gel if you didn't commute by bike? I shower regardless

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When I was doing about 4000 miles a year, I reckoned that it was costing me about 8p a mile, ignoring the capital cost of the bike. That included replacing tyres, tubes , chains, gear components and worn out clothing etc etc. The clothing was a surprisingly large part, even though none of it was fancy.

keithmac

Guru
Pair of brake pads last year for me, charge it up once a week but normally at work, think it's something daft like 5p a charge!.

Probably £12 with some change!.

lazyfatgit

When i last seriously commuted by bike/train/walk every working day, the cost of a monthly train pass was just under my fuel costs using the car. I didn't ever consider the costs properly as I was ahead in both fitness and time spent travelling. Sitting parked on the M8 wasn't fun.

Thomson

Bought second hand bike for £200 before last winter. Sold car no tax mot insurance running costs etc. Done around 1500 miles to work and back in that year. Spend about £20 in inner tubes. And got lights as a present. Couple times I have walked to work. Only 2.89 miles away. And once I got the bus £2.70. Never again. I did use to spend £50 a week in diesel. So much happier :-).

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I use the bikes I already had, and try to commute one or two of the four shifts I work per week.
I'd find it impossible to quantify the cost per annum, but every bike commute saves me 25 miles of fuel plus wear & tear on the car, but I have to add £1.70 for a meal deal and cuppa at work as I eat after the ride in rather than before.

Nufab

Über Member
I bought my road bike in 2011 on the cycle to work scheme. It was £850 but probably cost me more like £600. I didnt use it on a regular basis, having had two kids since made me lazy to be honest, but I cycled to work about 75% of the time throughout 2018, with it being close to 100% since May.

At the end of 2017 I was knocked off the bike, so spent £150ish on new, much brighter lights. The rear derailleur was damaged but I had already been planning to upgrade the groupset, so I rebuilt the bike with the full 105 group. It had also had new wheels in 2017 for around £150.

Clothing wise I bought it gradually as I went along, upgrading as things wear out. Last year I bought quite a lot... new rucksack, winter tights, winter boots, thermal jersey... but now I can cycle all year round with no issues. I've just ordered a nice Gore jacket to replace the bright yellow bin-bag I usually wear!

However it saves me a lot on fuel... I cant tell you the current price of diesel, and I last bought fuel at the very start of December, and only £30 then. Also, I was paid out more in compensation for the crash in 2017 than I've ever spent on cycling, so I'm definitely up.... I wouldnt recommend that as a course of action though!

Top Bottom