how much float should there be in the crank.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What cranksets, what BB?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, not familiar with the FSA stuff. Looks a bit like Shimano hollowtech but the lefthand crank is secured differently. I would expect no endfloat but minimal bearing preload. With the shimano system, if you can't adjust out endfloat with the star nut thingy in the left hand crank (i.e, the crank is bottoming out on the splines) then you have to add extra spacers behind the bearing cups between BB shell and cups.

OP
OP
R

roger44

OK, not familiar with the FSA stuff. Looks a bit like Shimano hollowtech but the lefthand crank is secured differently. I would expect no endfloat but minimal bearing preload. With the shimano system, if you can't adjust out endfloat with the star nut thingy in the left hand crank (i.e, the crank is bottoming out on the splines) then you have to add extra spacers behind the bearing cups between BB shell and cups.

I agree, I have added a .5mm shim and that seems to have taken out all the play, just allowing a nice smooth movement. I happy with that.

si_c

Guru
You shouldn't have any play with a megaexo BB assuming you have it set up right - if you've added a shim and that's fixed the problem then great, but I'd be wary of the BB disintegrating - I had endless problems with the FSA threaded megaexo BBs - three in the space of a year just disintegrated.

Top Bottom