How much Meth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think you're being tight if it's a good non-stick surface. I'd rather pay the extra than spending hours trying to get a pan clean while camping.
Do you mean "classic" non stick? I abandoned non stick years ago - more trouble than it's worth even if supposedly invented to allow Apollo astronauts to do fry-ups. I'd recommend the hard anodised. You can still get from some places the duossal pans and I think they may possibly have relaunched them- aluminium with steel for the food surface. I got one recently but haven't used it yet. Domestically, at home, I find plain steel frying pans far superior to any non stick - washing a piece of p. Non stick was a 60s solution to a non problem.

Incidentally, do any of you Trangia-holics know if there is a reasonable alternative to the non-stick frying pan? I might just be being tight but £13 seems excessive. I bought the basic one and the only thing that's annoying is cleaning that flaming pan!
No. Not when it comes to Trangias. Buy one, cut down a wooden spoon and take one of those plastic dough scrapers as well for flipping things. Both will fit in the Trangia. No idea about the anodised stuff.

Slightly OT, but I ran out of eco fuel / meths in Europe and struggled to find any.

Running out is a major PITA. Now I fill my bike frame with the stuff right up to the seat post and have fitted a little home brew tap down by the BB. Works a treat.

I've always had success in chemists/pharmacies. Some may be a bit reluctant to sell it to a dishevelled looking person as I can sometimes appear on a tour, but generally a smile and pointing to the bike solves the issue.

Naming can be an issue so here's a couple of links...
The Americas: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=19038&v=5q
International: http://trangia.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/fuel-list-bransle-lista.pdf

(Of course you should always look at the percentages too!)

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
No. Not when it comes to Trangias. Buy one, cut down a wooden spoon and take one of those plastic dough scrapers as well for flipping things. Both will fit in the Trangia. No idea about the anodised stuff.

Oh, good point! In fact, I have some little plastic "flippers" from a raclette set that might do the job gently enough.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
One way of stretching your fuel is to use a pot cosy - an insulating jacket and lid made from Thermawrap (this stuff). Backpackinglight sell small quantities suitable for a couple of pans at less than a full roll.
Bring the pasta/rice to the boil, then take the pan off the stove and put it in the cosy instead of simmering. You can then use the stove for the sauce, or just snuff it and save fuel.

Trangia pans are a more awkward shape for making a cosy for than a basic cylindrical pan, but you should be able to come up with something reasonable.

Top Bottom