How much money to take on a months tour in france

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Apply for a Nationwide credit card. They dont charge any extras for using it abroad.
They have now introduced charges but still lower than others

I would say the budget depends on what you want in terms of luxury. Campsite €10, but having tried stealth camping earlier this year I would be very happy to do more of it (perhaps half the time). Personal preference is a restaurant meal at night (if not stealth camping) and you are often stuck with what is available, which could be a pizza or could be quite pricey.

jay clock

Massive member
Best bet is to pay a little more for travel and visit Portugal or Spain instead. :-)
Having toured 5 times in France, 5 times in Spain and 3 in Portugal they are all fantastic places. Spain's biggest disadvantage is that 85% of the eastern coast is pretty unattractive to cycle (busy over-developed coastal roads), and the interior contains vast tracts of plains etc). But I still love Spain. France has the advantage that pretty much anywhere contains great cycling.

www.crazyguyonabike.com/julian for the full lowdown

andym

Über Member
I tried to open a Nationwide account online but eventually gave up.

I have got a Santander Zero card (which IIRC was the next best thing at the time) and I use a FairFx.com (which seems to be a part of the Newcastle Building Society) card for cash.

I forget the ins and outs, but there's a very useful overview on moneysavingexpert.com.

I don't know that Spain is significantly cheaper than France. Campsites seem to be more expensive but on the other hand rooms in cheaper hotel rooms seem to be a good bit cheaper than in France.

rich p said:
Why? France is a fantastic country to tour.

I only mentioned really as it's a damn sight cheaper, especially rural Portugal. It's pretty cheap to get across from Portsmouth to Santander as a foot passenger. Would be a nice little tour from Santander over to Portugal and down. If a little hilly to begin with!

Top Bottom