How much more performance can i expect from a Road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Here's my experience from when I started cycling four years ago. The distances I cycle have changed a lot and my speeds are held back somewhat by a permanent ankle injury and being 52! However, using what is now my shortest circuit of 17 miles as a benchmark.

1st year Subway 1 - goodbye to 4 stone and worked up to an average speed of around 14 mph by the the end of the year.
2nd year Dawes Discovery - instant increase to 15 to 16 mph average speed.
3rd year Ridley Aeron with tiagra - not much increase in speed but much more pleasant to ride, especially for 50 milers.
4th year Early training for first 100 miler and more use of drops, which increased average to 17mph but still very hard to go much faster.
4th year (part 2) bought lovely Orbea road bike - first trip out, averaged 19 mph.

The Orbea is a completely different riding experience. I seemed to hit a wall with the Ridley where extra effort made little difference but so far, that hasn't happened with the new bike. I doubt if I'll push myself much faster overall but it is nice to be able to give it some welly for a few miles and get some real exhilaration from the speed.

John

Garz

Squat Member
Well done John!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Garz said:
Well done John!

Thanks! The "large couch potato to exercise freak" change has left my family a bit gob smacked and to be honest, I can't quite believe it myself. I guess I'm lucky to have fairly flat countryside on my doorstep to make cycling more appealing.

Anyway, I would throughly recommend a full blown road bike - regardless of what it will be used for, it changes pleasure into fun.

John

P.S. I did swear blind at the outset I would never, ever, wear lycra and that all cycling clothing looked ridiculous. That resolution crumbled into dust this year.

willem

Über Member
I have a superb and very expensive custom built loaded touring bike with drop bar, and a tired 33 year old road bike (most of my riding is loaded touring, or commuting, but that is a different story). I am sure my tourer is much nicer and faster than your Giant. Yet, there is no doubt that the old road bike is quite a bit faster than my tourer. So if you want to you can really be a lot faster on any road bike. I would get a very cheap (under 100 pounds) second hand one, fit very good tyres (Grandbois?), and enjoy it for one or two years, until you know what you want. Then, and only then, would I get a real and very nice road (audax?) bike.
Willem

Garz

Squat Member
Nice outcome there then john! I shall tell my friend who lives in sufflok (near haverhill) to watch out for the lycra clad speed machine riding a red orbea! ;)

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Garz said:
Nice outcome there then john! I shall tell my friend who lives in sufflok (near haverhill) to watch out for the lycra clad speed machine riding a red orbea! :ohmy:

Good idea - if he spots me early enough, he might be able to stop laughing that much sooner ;)

John

Top Bottom