How much of a bike is used the next day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Hi,
In a World Tour team, if the next day’s stage requires the same bike set-up, how much of the previous day’s bike is used? What bits, if any, are likely replaced?
TIA

I saw the banesto team (that dates me) cleaning their bikes for the tour in the Alps. They did put new bar tape on but apart fromn that they didn't replace anything.

I guess they look at tyres for damage though.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Rear cassettes will be altered if the stage is flat or hilly/mountainous, and possibly the Chainrings also.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Rear cassettes will be altered if the stage is flat or hilly/mountainous, and possibly the Chainrings also.

Thanks - I was coming more from a ‘what is worn out’ point of view. Would they keep ‘old’ cassettes and put them back on another day?

T4tomo

Guru
Thanks - I was coming more from a ‘what is worn out’ point of view. Would they keep ‘old’ cassettes and put them back on another day?

A stage is usually 150-250km, why would they bin a cassette after that distance?

worn brake blocks or a flat spotted tyre would be about it for binning stuff. Replacing bar tape is quite common but not an everyday thing.

as Ming says above its more about clean , service & correct set up for the next day...

and loading / unload replacement bikes from the team car

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

A stage is usually 150-250km, why would they bin a cassette after that distance?

worn brake blocks or a flat spotted tyre would be about it for binning stuff. Replacing bar tape is quite common but not an everyday thing.

as Ming says above its more about clean , service & correct set up for the next day...

and loading / unload replacement bikes from the team car

I haven’t a clue, hence reason for asking.
Very interesting, makes me feel better from a sustainability point of view.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Like any other bike, they will only replace when worn. Not cheap running a fleet of super expensive bikes. The riders will usually get a new bike (or two/three) each season as sponsors change. Don't forget they have other bikes, spare bike, TT bike etc etc.

Top Bottom