How much weight do you carry when touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Having just got back from a cycling holiday without camping gear I realised that I have to be far more disciplined in what I carry next time.

What weight of load do you carry when you are touring. Both camping and not camping. I am talking just about luggage weight?

Steve
if your panniers weight more than 10kg (for a 2 week tour) bin something. 8kg or less is even better - 4kg per pannier ideally.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
if your panniers weight more than 10kg (for a 2 week tour) bin something. 8kg or less is even better - 4kg per pannier ideally.

Year right tell me now ;0)

3 books and 2 cameras were a bit excessive.

The next time it will be what I can take for 10kg. Even so my Koga World Traveller coped without any problem. Once Rolling I didnt feel the weight at all.

Steve

e-rider

crappy member
Year right tell me now ;0)

3 books and 2 cameras were a bit excessive.

The next time it will be what I can take for 10kg. Even so my Koga World Traveller coped without any problem. Once Rolling I didnt feel the weight at all.

Steve
yeah, taking 10 kg uphill isn't much fun! (as I found out on LEJOG) Started with 12kg and finished with 8kg - a big improvement.

asterix

Comrade Member
c.20kg. A bit of weight does not bother me hugely as I have the gears to get me up most things in time.

I would much rather have everything I needed rather than skimp so am happy to carry my 2 person tent and so on and honestly don't notice a few extra kilos one way or the other. On my Alpine trip this year the hardest bit was the Galibier. Not going up it, but the descent because the snow shower and not having to pedal made it so flipping cold. Going up, I was lovely and warm.

ActiveCampers

Hmmm
We're doing our first cycle ride to the south of france, and opting to go for comfort rather than skimp as we will be plodding and stopping off along the way, so taking chairs, nice tent 3.5kg, nice comfy double sleeping bag (2.5kg). Plus tools, clothes, camping gear.....

Just weighed the wifes bike. Bike is 20kg. It weighed 40kg. Oops. Mine will be about the same. (Her bike, Specialized Myka Elite) should weigh 14.5kg stock - but with pannier rack, touring tyres and seat it weighed 20kg. No way was it 15kg stock!

Still, its not a race, should be reasonably flat, and the idea is to get fit!

Not sure what we could leave out or make lighter to be honest. We want some time on the beaches and want some comforts. We can always throw stuff away enroute!

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm heading off to the south if France and I'm still at the route planning stage. Would you mind sharing your route? There seem to be so many options I can't make a decision!!

Top Bottom