How much would you/have you paid for a kitchen knife?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My son is a chef.
He has just ordered a new hand made 'all purpose' knife.
Normal cost is apparently just shy of £300.
I keep threatening to get myself some 'good' knives but good to me would be 50 quid for a set.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I think I paid £25 for a John Lewis chef's knife about ten years ago, it's still perfect and still my main day to day knife.
Up to a point you do get what you pay for I think, i.e. a cheapo Wilko knife won't stay sharp and won't be as good as a well made one, but I'm not sure what a £300 knife does. That seems to be stretching the maxim a tad.

si_c

Guru
We paid about £75 for our kitchen knife set. My old housemate before I got married spent over £300 on his knives - a set of Globals - they were very very good. Not sure I'd pay that much for them though and I dread to think how much they would be now as that was over 15 years ago.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My son is a chef.
He has just ordered a new hand made 'all purpose' knife.
Normal cost is apparently just shy of £300.
I keep threatening to get myself some 'good' knives but good to me would be 50 quid for a set.
Tax deductible, I presume.. 👍🏼

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think I paid £25 for a John Lewis chef's knife about ten years ago, it's still perfect and still my main day to day knife.
Up to a point you do get what you pay for I think, i.e. a cheapo Wilko knife won't stay sharp and won't be as good as a well made one, but I'm not sure what a £300 knife does. That seems to be stretching the maxim a tad.
Just been googling it.
Some UK hand made knives cost up to £600 :wacko:

300 squid should buy the finest handmade steel cooks knife between Damascus and Toledo. Or a set of professional cooks knives made in Solingen. I would be happy with either.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I got a vegetable knife from Lidl for £3.99 I think. It was so sharp I went and got another. Both are still going strong, I've sharpened them once in a year. one is my workshop knife so has a hard life, the other is my small kitchen knife. I would pay a tenner for one but for me it's easier to pay a few quid and sharpen it once in a while rather than pay £100 for one that will stay sharper for longer. My mum still uses a kitchen knife they got as a wedding present (45 years ago) and it's still going strong even though the wooden handle has faded and it's thinner due to sharpening, but after my dad sharpened it, it nearly took my mums fingers off

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
A key thing as well is get a quality knife sharpener that is easy to use. That way your knives stay perfectly sharp and are easy to use.
I got one of these free with an order of cooking bits and is nice enough so far but I am not a chef or expert at cooking.

https://www.procook.co.uk/product/procook-nihon-x50-santoku-knife-18cm-7in
My son, as do a lot of chef type people will only sharpen by hand. A good stone will cost upwards of £30.
My sharpener cost maybe a fiver and that tbh is what its worth.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
300 squid should buy the finest handmade steel cooks knife between Damascus and Toledo. Or a set of professional cooks knives made in Solingen. I would be happy with either.
This one is a Nakini (spelling ??) Which is specifically for veg...... not all purpose as I thought.

Top Bottom