How not to mend a puncture on an expandable garden hose.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
My problem is that 50ft of hose are very bulky to store.
I'll have to protect it from sunlight in summer.
Pile it up on my veranda covered by tarpaulin? Takes a lot of space.
Not sure how I'd manage to roll it out, it's bound to get punctured easy.
I'll look into the options during winter.
I also have a water but in the back garden, a bit slow to dispense water for such a big area, and it means I have to go up and down with a watering can.
Hose reel?
Most will accept a 60 foot hose, and aren't that big.

The back garden is the communal one of a 6 in a block, so quite large.
It needs to go through the close, then down half a dozen steps.
What kind of hose should I get for next year?
A communal garden? For everyone?

Is there anything to be said for organising the community with watering cans or buckets? A way of building up a bit of community spirit?

Speaking for myself, I'd stay a million miles away from a community garden because I'd likely kill every living plant - but I'd be delighted to be involved in a simple task like delivering water.

Failing that, any chance of using a tap closer to the garden? Or what about a barrel or two of captured rainwater? It is Scotland, after all! ^_^

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hose reel?
Most will accept a 60 foot hose, and aren't that big.
Yes, I'm looking into that. Not sure yet if it will work, as the hose needs to go over a small wall, through the close, down half dozen steps. The tap is on my veranda, behind the small wall.
Is there anything to be said for organising the community with watering cans or buckets? A way of building up a bit of community spirit?
This is not a community garden (we have that too, but it's only about 4 people helping).
This is the back garden exclusive to 6 flats.
None of the other residents is interested in gardening.
Failing that, any chance of using a tap closer to the garden? Or what about a barrel or two of captured rainwater? It is Scotland, after all! ^_^
Cannot get water at the back of this building, confirmed by a plumber.
I have got the rain barrel, but it is very slow dispensing compared to a hose.
The area is quite large, I'd have to go from barrel to plants with a watering can.
Will take pictures tomorrow, if the weather is ok.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, I'm looking into that. Not sure yet if it will work, as the hose needs to go over a small wall, through the close, down half dozen steps. The tap is on my veranda, behind the small wall.

This is not a community garden (we have that too, but it's only about 4 people helping).
This is the back garden exclusive to 6 flats.
None of the other residents is interested in gardening.

Cannot get water at the back of this building, confirmed by a plumber.
I have got the rain barrel, but it is very slow dispensing compared to a hose.
The area is quite large, I'd have to go from barrel to plants with a watering can.
Will take pictures tomorrow, if the weather is ok.
You'll roll it out and be able to roll it back up, removing any kinks as you roll it up.

If you're on the first floor, can you not drop it from the veranda?

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If you're on the first floor, can you not drop it from the veranda?
I'm on the ground floor.
I could get the hose to pass, from my veranda through my kitchen window, through the kitchen, into my bedroom, down the bedroom window, to the back garden - it's about a 10ft drop.
I could do all this, but I'm not going to risk flooding my flat, or drag a dirty hose through it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yes. They are rubbish.
I tried one a couple of years ago.
It simply didn’t last the winter as water froze inside the pipe and it burst.
They can also be prone to weakening by UV sunlight.
My normal hose is over 15 years and still works fine.

Had years and years of use out of the expanding hose at my mums. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm on the ground floor.
I could get the hose to pass, from my veranda through my kitchen window, through the kitchen, into my bedroom, down the bedroom window, to the back garden - it's about a 10ft drop.
I could do all this, but I'm not going to risk flooding my flat, or drag a dirty hose through it.
Don't blame you on not wanting to flood your house. Especially with your recent experience with hosepipes.

Top Bottom