How often and with what......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
tomb1960 said:
should I lubricate my chain? I imagine a dribble of 3 in 1 oil is not the answer these days so what is?

I use one of the thin lubes like finish-line or Halfrauds own. I lube my chain... um... when it begs me to, with the squeaking, or just before I go anywhere I think more diligent people will be looking at my bike...:blush:

The proper answer to how often I think depends on how much you ride, and in what conditions. If your bike gets really dirty or gritty regularly you'll need to clean and lube more often than if you are just commuting on relatively clean and dry roads... The main thing is not to let the lube build up and get sticky, which is one reason my 3-in-1 has been rejected - too sticky and the grit and dust clings to it. But I'd say a bit of 3-in-1 is probably better than nothing...

inaperfectworld

this cleaning thing crops up quite often so worth searching here and othe sites. trouble is you'll find 50 different answers at least. some advocate removing the chain and sticking it in petrol; i don't really see how the different methods can be assessed as it depends on conditions and usage i have a hybrid for winter use and apply an oil like the finish line winter lube after cleaning in degreaser, washing off and letting it dry. i do it as rarely as my conscience lets me get away with, basically when it looks a bit claggy i do it. on my spring/ summer/ autumn bikes i use a synthetic waxy stuff from finish line about once a month after the degreasing etc
. when there are many different methods proposed it means there is no right way. you do need to do something tho' as you can hear some bikes coming by the racket the chain and gears make.

Ah but there is a right way! It involves no degreaser, petrol, white spirit or other nasty solvents. It involves no WD85, GT40, 3 in 1 or Scott oil(er) and no dirty splashy £20 chain cleaning device. Its quick, easy, environmentally as friendly and by far the most effective. In this particular area, and please forgive my arrogance, my way is the right way and I am quite prepared back up my claims by submitting my findings to peer review. Try it, on a new chain, I promise you'll never go back.

longers

Legendary Member
Go on then Mickle, I'll be treating myself to a new chain after Christmas and will happily give your way a go. What be the method please?

mondobongo

Über Member
Mickle's way is pretty damm good, been doing it since it was posted on another thread it works and I have tried over the last four years the chain bath, bike specific degreaser. Mr Muscle degreaser and a cut down paint brush and taking the chain off in a tin of petrol.

Mickles way, seen by some as the "One True Path", and is heretoafter referred to as such.

One True Path chain cleaning involves running the chain through a rag until the majority of the crud has rubbed off, followed the application of a decent lubricant.

Followers of the One True Path centre their belief in not degreasing around the basis that when a chain is manufactured, the grease that it is coated in is very high quality and stripping it from the chain is a little bit like removing the teabag from around the leaves - it is still possible to make tea, but it won't be as good as if you had left the teabag where it was supposed to be.

A bicycle chain, when dangled from a hand, should feel well greased and its wriggling should be smooth. A degreased chain however, will shimmy in a dry fashion.

longers said:
Go on then Mickle, I'll be treating myself to a new chain after Christmas and will happily give your way a go. What be the method please?

Seek and ye shall find oh seeker of The way Of Extended Chain Durability. Probably in Know How somewhere.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm with the rag and re-lube with a quality dry lube. I rarely use a degreaser. Usually run the chain through a rag a few times a week on the commuter

longers

Legendary Member
mickle said:
Seek and ye shall find oh seeker of The way Of Extended Chain Durability. Probably in Know How somewhere.

Thanks to JrG posting a summary I shall be following the One True Path to Extended Chain Durability.

I remember reading this now, somewhere on here.

bonj2

i largely use mickle's way on both my bikes (albeit admittedly on my roadie less often), but i didn't know it was mickle's way :sad: honest
I use "decathlon chain and derailleur oil", is this a travesty?

dubman

Guru
cant really see how just wiping down with a rag then re-lubing gets all the grit and crap out between the links , only a proper degrease and proper lube will do the job.

Top Bottom