How often do you wash your denim jeans?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Cycleops I'm still wearing a pair of Levis I wore at school. Granted mostly patches now but they are still going. Triggers broom kinda thing. About four wears and then washed.
Come on OH stop virtue signalling about how little weight you've put on . At least you've washed them. So much for what the Levi's CEO says.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have two pairs of these...

https://www.tellason.com/

Both pairs are still looking as good as new, but I was advised to avoid washing them as much as possible and instead chuck them in the freezer to freshen them up. If really necessary they can be washed in cold water.
Raw denim is very different to most of the high street stuff. It's REALLY stiff when new but definitely falls into the 'buy once' category.

I did just buy a pair of expensive Japanese selvedge denim jeans, but got them for a bargainous price second hand because despite being in nearly new condition they had, shock horror, been washed. The listing made sure to state that very clearly.

A pair of these, since you asked, although I'm waiting for my current 501s to wear out before I put them into use.

https://indigoferajeans.com/products/bottoms/

I do wash my jeans though, two young kids means they get filthy and they're a practical garment above anything. Our machine's got a 'dark wash' setting which is cold and gentle so they go on that.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Blimey up to $395 for a pair of jeans. Are you alright @Bollo ?
You could convert to Di2 for that.

Both pairs were bought probably about 10 years ago before a certain vote plus general economic woes did for the USD/GBP exchange rate, so not quite as eye-watering as they would be now.

But yeah, not cheap. My take is that they could potentially outlive me and they've an inbuilt incentive for me not to pop on any extra weight. They’re the Jeans equivalent of a handbuilt steel tourer.

Di2?! I’m not having that low-tech rubbish on my bikes. SRAM Red @Cycleops, SRAM Red! 😜

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I have a few pairs of Levi 511 jeans. They get washed at the same frequency as every other item of clothing I own. I fail to understand why jeans should be treated differently.

Untreated raw denim tends to shrink when you wash it, especially at any sort of temperature. It also spoils the feel at little, like you’re having to break them in all over again.

I’ve heard some advice about putting the jeans back in before they’ve fully dried to prevent them tightening up to much. Never done it, but my jeans certainly tighten up if they get some rain in them.

stephec

Legendary Member
Wake up in a bush in Swindon?

It'd take more than a few pints to end up there. 😂

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've always been a Levi 501 Red Tab person but I buy them (three pairs at a time) from dodgy sources so they are not ludicrously expensive. They gradually get relegated to building/DIY use as they get worn out. My current DIY pair has two worn out, holey knees and holes in the back pockets. The Number One Pair (smart use) gets washed before any social function. The Number Three Pair (DIY) goes for weeks between washes.

Our washing machine has a special setting for jeans

so I carefully put them in with everything else on the "coloured" setting

no idea what the difference is - temperature is 40 on both - but I knock it down to 30

stephec

Legendary Member
Our washing machine has a special setting for jeans

so I carefully put them in with everything else on the "coloured" setting

no idea what the difference is - temperature is 40 on both - but I knock it down to 30

Quite possibly timings or spin speed.

Our washing machine is similar so I once went into geek mode and compared one 40° setting to another, there was a 200rpm difference.

Top Bottom