How often to check tyre pressures?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firm Button

im trying to fine tune my tyre pressures, I’m settling on 90-100psi on my 23mm tyres. But how often and how do you check your pressures? I find that i have to fit the pump, which lets all the air out, then I have to reinflate. Is this normal for pumps? Can you get a tyre pressure gauge that doesn’t let the pressure out?
Cheers
Steve

D

Deleted member 26715

Is this normal for pumps?
Can you get a tyre pressure gauge that doesn’t let the pressure out?
No & No from me, both my track & mini pump will give a reading as soon as they are put on, it has to let a very small amount out to get a reading but ti should only be a very small amount

OP
OP
Firm Button

Firm Button

Am I missing something then? Is there a procedure to checking pressures? I take the cap off, then unscrew the ‘thingie’ and have to put the fitting right over the valve, pushing down the release before I can then close the clamp on the pump fitting and pump it back up.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Am I missing something then? Is there a procedure to checking pressures? I take the cap off, then unscrew the ‘thingie’ and have to put the fitting right over the valve, pushing down the release before I can then close the clamp on the pump fitting and pump it back up.
You sound to be doing everything correctly, some air does come out when you first push on the pump head. I top up my air fortnightly.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As far as how often, it depends. I probably only check & top up my hybrid commuter maybe every 3-4 weeks and they don't go noticeably soggy. Mtb gets a thumb press every time i use it, but this isn't often. Seems to hold a useable pressure for a couple of months at the most. Roadbikes seem to be more noticeable when the pressure drops so might get topped up fortnightly. 23mm tyres are the worst but i run 32 or 35mm now which are less critical for pressure.
My Topeak Joe Blow Sport doesn't seem to register the pressure of presta valves until i have given them the first pump but usually gets Schrader pressures right away.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Once a week, with a pinch test before every ride.

Alan O

Über Member
I tend to check mine about once a week (with a track pump) and I usually find the pressure is down about 10psi (32mm tyres, 80 rear and 70 front). But most of that is probably down to the air loss from just checking, and I expect once every two weeks is plenty. (But then, track pumps are great, and pressure checking is part of my ritual and I wouldn't feel right without it.)

As for relying on squeezing tyres to check, above a certain pressure I can't feel any difference at all like that, but my bum can certainly feel it out on the road.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
[QUOTE 5368623, member: 9609"]I take it you mean a lttle bit which you then have to put back in ? track pumps with long tubes are pretty hungry so you are always going to get a fair drop in pressure when reconecting

I'm on 28c and run them at 85psi. I just tested mine so as you have some sort of cmparison. blew it up to 85psi then disconnected then reconnected it five times
0 - 85psi
1 - 78
2 - 70
3 - 65
4 - 59
5 - 54

there will be quite a bit less volume inside a 23c so I would imagine yours would come down much quicker than mine.

Out of curiosity does any one know what volume is inside ifferent tyre sizes ?[/QUOTE]

Can always count on you to do the research sir. Good work.

Top Bottom