How often to clean the headset ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
LBS seemed to be saying that after going out in the rain on my Defy 2, I should undo the stem, drop the forks a bit & relube the headset. Strikes me as a bit OTT or am I missing something ?

How often do you dismantle & relube your headset area (oo-err!) ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have only cleaned the headset once in over 3 years when it started creaking.
It's an integrated headest with sealed bearings.
So not sure about other types.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
That's my approach too. I did have to tighten it up a little after 250 miles but it has been fine ever since.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Only when it feels like it needs it (it is noticeable when the lower bearing gets a bit dry), the frequency depends on how often you ride in wet and/or muddy conditions and whether you have mudguards.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Thanks .. mudguards are off now - it's supposed to be summer after all !

I've done about 1200 miles on this bike now from new, so perhaps I will make a note to have a look at it before winter.

Pauluk

If its a A-Head its fairly easy to do. Just undo the two stem bolts and lift the stem out of the way. Then undo the Steer tube bolt. Lower the forks and re-grease. Reposition the forks and replace the steer tube fixing bolt (tighten this bolt just enough to allow the front wheel to swing when holding the bike off the floor pointing down). Re-fit the stem and tighten. Re-check that the front wheel swings easily when holding the bike off the floor and that there is no play in the head set when the bike is on the ground.

There are some youtube videos that show you how to do this, probably better than my explanation.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
LBS seemed to be saying that after going out in the rain on my Defy 2, I should undo the stem, drop the forks a bit & relube the headset. Strikes me as a bit OTT or am I missing something ?

How often do you dismantle & relube your headset area (oo-err!) ?
I'd find an LBS who know something about bikes.

I've never heard such crap.

Top Bottom