how often

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KateK

I'm a beginner too, but been going out for 6 months, I go out three times a week as I find a 3 day gap is good after my bigger ride of the week. But I started from a much lower level than you. My knees aren't great but I found it definitely helps keeping in a low gear so as not to crank the pedals round really helps, and anyway you go faster that way.. I started on the flat because hills really hurt my knees afterwards (and I couldn't get up them!). As you do longer rides you meet more hills anyway and as you get fitter your muscles protect your knees better and hold them together, I get very little pain afterwards now. I do about 100 miles a week now, but at the start I was doing about 30.
as you will see from the site there are people of all sorts of levels on here. I reckon my first year or two will just be building up stamina and leg strength and then I'll see where to go from there. I think it helps to have some long term goals to keep you going when you hit tough bits, which you inevitably do.
Enough waffling from me! I'm a noob anyway.

Peteaud

Veteran
I dont commute but try to do 20 miles on a sat or sun and 2 or 3 times in the week 10/15 miles

Top Bottom