How often?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by wilko, 15 Apr 2019.

1. wilko

wilko Über Member

How often do you cycle? I’m retired now, used to cycle some years ago planning to get back in the saddle. Should I aim to get on the bike every day, or just once or twice a week?

2. CXRAndy

CXRAndy Guru

Depends on your base fitness. Lets say you're unfit for example. I would plan to do some rides 3 times a week, nothing too far or strenuous. Just enjoy riding around, after a couple of weeks extend the time but keep it at 3 times. Maybe after a month add another day. Dont over do it though and spoil the enjoyment.

I use my shopper to go to the local town shopping 3 times a week, it gives me about 60 miles of easy riding.

buzzy-beans, raleighnut and wilko like this.
  3. Jimidh

Jimidh Über Member

Get on it as often or as little as you want is the easy answer.

If you want a more complete answer the question should be what do you want to get out of cycling?

Is it raising your fitness, general enjoyment, a means of transport?

tom73 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    wilko

wilko Über Member

It’s basically for fitness and general enjoyment.

5. Ride as much or as little, as long or as short as you feel. But ride.

GlenBen, tom73 and wilko like this.
  6. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Depends how far you plan to cycle each day. You can probably manage 1 mile every day but could you manage 10 miles every day? Build up slowly and steadily. Initially you may find every day is too much or if you reduce the mileage each day it is manageable. But start with a modest mileage and frequency and increase that as you begin to feel fitter.

tom73 and wilko like this.
  7. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

What other cardiovascular exercise do you take? How's your health? Any medical issues?
    Unless, you have a reason not to, the advice is at least 30 mins a day at least 5 days a week but some of that should be weight bearing

wilko likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    wilko

wilko Über Member

I walk the dogs every morning, but that is more of a stroll than a cardiovascular work out. I’m 67 years old, my general health is ok ( touching wood) No medical issues that I am aware of. When you say weight bearing what do you mean?

Last edited: 15 Apr 2019
  9. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Walking, running, cross trainer, squatting etc cycling and swimming are non weight bearing

If you have the time, nothing to stop you cycling daily, just take it easy

wilko likes this.
  10. Milzy

Milzy Veteran

Attached Files:

11. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

I cycle at least 20 minutes most days. My life literally pretty much depends on getting the exercise, in one way.

Other than that, do what you feel.

12. tom73

tom73 Über Member

Sounds like your active so a good base fitness wise. Just take your time build the miles as you think you can cope with. They soon add up and you will be well away in no time. Remember to build in a day or 2 to rest up. Plan a route you know well to start with then build on it so you can mix it up a bit when you feel like it.

wilko likes this.
  13. Fonze

Fonze Totally obsessive , cool by nature

I've been off my bike for a while now due to illness and bad health, it's coming back now and I hope to ride again in a few weeks, I'd say ride often and whenever you can as it's a pleasure to be able to get out, take it from someone stuck in and off their much loved bike ..

wilko and tom73 like this.
  14. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

What sort of cycling did you do years ago?
    I would follow the same regime as you used to do, but with drastically reduced miles and just build up.

Fitness will return surprisingly quick, although speed might take a little longer.

...… from a youngster of 69yrs

wilko likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    wilko

wilko Über Member

Have never been much of a speedster to be honest. More of a leisure rider. As you say I just need to get on the bike and build miles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice