How often?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
The thing to avoid is hurting joints or connective tissue by too much for too long too soon. Stop while it feels good so as to enjoy the next ride and the hundreth. Most advise exercising a group of muscles until tired and then a day or two off to rebuild and strengthen. If you exercise moderately then every day would be ok just like walking the pooch. As you begin working into it you will get your sitbones accustomed to the saddle and you may want to adjust your saddle, handlebars and grips as you find something isn't optimal when you ride. Since you are in no rush, get a multitool and adjust and tune as you go. Small changes are better than huge ones. Hopefully, this isn't a sprint but more like a way of life.

D

Deleted member 89407

I used to cycle about three times a week, nothing too heavy. Last year I got three chest infections in the space of four months, never shaking the previous one off and for nine months I did practically no exercise because I just wasn’t well enough to get out and ride or any other kind of exercise other than walking. My health has improved a great deal since then and I’ve started riding again, much to my enjoyment and it’s a great feeling. I plan to ride twice at the weekend and once during the week when time allows (a long commute to work really eats my time up).

I’m not retired but in my current state of mind and fitness, if I were retired, I would try to ride as many times a week as I could in between my other activities, even if it was to go to the shops. But at the same time not feel that have to for the sake of it. Some weeks it would be more, other weeks it would be less. It would be my hope that my train of thought would be to maintain fitness, something I have to focus on having asthma, and simply enjoying being out on a ride no matter how long or short.

Short answer, as little or as often as you like and feel comfortable.

gazza81

Über Member
I started cycling feb this year, i try to get out once on a weekend, work and family permitting.
Now the nice weather is here i can get out early doors for a good 3 4hrs.

My problem is i have other hobbies so fitting them in without getting in trouble with the mrs is proving difficult!

I am also retired and get out about three times a week usually 30 to 50 mile rides.
I don't think my average mph has changed much over the years.
I'm still keen to check the strava leaderboard for my age bracket.
Like many of the posters i would say build your rides up and watch out for the DOMS!

johnblack

Über Member
I ride outside most Saturdays and Sundays and maybe once or twice in the evenings during the week in the summer months. Use the wattbike during the week in the winter months.

I like to have a challenge at least once a year to focus some training towards, and then ride the remaining part of the year just doing what ever I feel like. As I get older I'm enjoying off road riding more than road riding, do a few MTB races and just go out with my mates for a few hours. Luckily I have a very understanding family!

Zipp2001

Veteran
I get out and ride 5-6 days a week depending on if the weather plays nice. I try to keep all the bikes in the stable happy but the trail bike seems to be the favored ride the last couple of years.

nickAKA

Über Member
Ride when you feel like it, if you can do a journey on the bike that you'd otherwise drive or walk, do it. Rest when you're tired.
I look at it from the perspective that at some point in the future the time may come when I can't physically do it anymore, so if you love it and you have the opportunity, get out whenever you can.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I get out and ride 5-6 days a week depending on if the weather plays nice. I try to keep all the bikes in the stable happy but the trail bike seems to be the favored ride the last couple of years.
Given that your current avatar is of you wearing shorts and a short-sleeved jersey and standing in snow about a foot deep, I hate to think what you think is weather NOT playing nice! :laugh:

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
when I retired I decided to get back in the saddle after an absence of about 40 years, and I have to admit , I found it hard work at first. What helped me along was when I palled up with a like minded bloke who lived nearby. now, 10 years on, we are still riding together and take the occasional camping trip together. Earlier this year we competed the lejog together, so my advice is find yourself a bike buddy and take it from there.

Signum-GB

Regular
I try to cycle 3 times per week but this is for commuting to work. Approx 22 mile round trip, so a reasonable wee jaunt. Not had a leisurely cycle in a while mind you.

nikkiss

Regular
me usually I cycle every weekend when I am off from work! for about 1 hour per day ...cycling next to a lake ....

Top Bottom