How should i fix my rack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Will the rack go on the outside of the dropout?
Also, I don't use nuts on the rack bolts. Rack outside the dropout, bold through the rack and rely on the threaded hole, maybe with threadlock.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
try a shorter bolt!

the type that hold the bottle cage on might be a good bet, you've probably got a bolt that is for when you are attaching both mudguards and a rack with the one bolt.

lbs is the place to go if you've no spare bottle cage bolt…

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
as the good Doctor says. Bolt the rack to the outside of the dropouts. It will bend easy enough to do that.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
yep rack on the outside and the bolt should be long enough to go through rack and frame, but not protrude the other side. First time I fitted a rack I rang the LBS to check as I did feel I had to exert quite a bit of force to get the supporting legs outside the frame.

PpPete

Legendary Member
There are number of online suppliers for stainless fasteners who have good range of lengths of M5 Socket Head screws. There's an awful lot of M5 on a bike: Bottle cage mounts, rack mounts, mudguard, light brackets etc etc. so to make the postage worthwhile it's worth getting a few different lengths at a time along with plain washers, lock washers.

Andy - if you need just a couple of a particular length PM me. I'll probably have a few to spare!

C

chillyuk

I had the same problem with the same rack. I did what others have suggested and mounted the leg outside the dropout. The problem then was that the weld prevented the leg sitting flat, so i used a longer bolt fed through from the inside, then a couple of nuts to act as spacers then the rack leg then the fixing nut. Once it was all snugged up I used a dremel and lopped off the surplus bolt. Been like it for several months with no problems.

I bolted it through from the outside using a spare bottle-cage bolt into the threaded frame, with couple of thicknesses of old innertube between the rack and the frame to stop it all scratching-up.

One one occasion it came loose, loud rattling noise over rough surfaces, so I just check the bolt every month or so.

Top Bottom