How sympathetic is your other half to cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Not that sympathetic to be honest - I suspect she doesn't understand the attraction - plus her argument against it is that it is a sport for loners (she is very gregarious) which I have to concede to a point but only because I don't have time with the kids to do club runs etc. I suspect that a lot of this comes from being not remotely sporty at all. Despite the fact that her father was once Olympic material in the sport in the late 40's, early 50's. Also it takes up a lot of time (from her perspective) when I could be doing something with my sons. Cycling apparently doesn't count.:biggrin:

LOGAN 5

Mrs Logan thinks my life orientates around cycling but is ok if I get out early Sunday and get back before noon. I do still get asked how long I'll be out though! That's difficult to answer because it all depends on how I'm feeling and whether I start doing extra bits/loops. Do hate rushing to get back, it spoils the ride. But I can be flexible and won't go if we decide to do somehing else as there's always tomorrow....and a rest day can't be bad.

Trying to encourage her to play golf so I can go missing for hours!

She has no sympathy that I get up extra early to do a longer commute mind.

walker

Miss Walker never used to be good, I'd come home from a long club run and she would expect me to start straight away on the housework, then onto something else, then do family visits.

Now I've got her cycling (only doing 20 miles, but she's new so its hard for her) and when we get in I do it to her, she now understands why all I wanted to do is nothing.

My other half is just as obsessed by cycling as I am. Together we own 12 bikes, and neither of us need to ask for the others' permission for bike expenditure because we both understand the 'need'. We race together when we can, and ride together at weekends when he is home. While he is a very very very good mtber I can kick his ass on the road, so it's all fair and square.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My missus is understanding of cycling.

She is less understanding of the need to buy stuff to do it.

She doesn't see why I might need more than, say, two jerseys[1], at most (one long sleeve, one short, ob.) I dread to think what might happen when I want to exchange or upgrade my old road bike (friction shifters are all very old skool and all, but I wouldn't mind being in the right gear at the lights once in a while).

Maybe Kirstie + Mr. Kirstie could adopt me?

[1] A need that's very apparent to the people I share an office with. Two days of commuting renders my jerseys somewhat pungent, to say the least.

Abitrary

I told a south african work colleague what dogging was recently, and he can't stop smiling ever since.

It's like the English are repressed or something

longers

Legendary Member
Our apprentice took a girl dogging on their first date. Her idea :biggrin:.

Top Bottom