How the blazes do I cleanly cut external gear / brake cable outer housing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got a pair of these Draper Expert cutters (Model number 57768) Very good and not expensive.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I use a junior hacksaw, then dress the ends on the grindstone. (Then rinse the swarf out thoroughly)
I also have a pair of Wilkinson Sword shears that are like a cross between heavy duty scissors and lightweight tin snips that I use for inners, but I don't recall whether I've ever tried them on the outers. I've only changed the outers a couple of times in 20 years.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ah, but do they have a dedicated cable end cap squisher like the Park ones? :boxing:
Nope. I've got half a dozen different electrical/electronic crimp tools that will do that. BTW, Silverline tools sell a cable cutter that looks suspiciously similar to the Draper one. It costs about £7 rather than £11. It might be worth a punt.... Silverline 623094.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
Snap-On cable cutter for me, like a knife through butter.

Drago

Legendary Member
The best cutters ive ever used are, bizarrely, a set of Halford Professional electrical pliers. They give a neater cut that my Park cutter.

Then on the bench grinder to dress the end so it sits pefectly flat in the guide, perfect.

Lookrider

You get what you pay for, I still have tools in daily (workshop) use that I bought 25 years ago.

Perfect reply there from kiethmac
Unfortunately when you are not a professional and tools not in daily use we find ourselves in the minefield of likely use vs cost
To many times we say ...ahh I only use it once ...but find it more regular then you go and buy another anyways
Good products will have a good sell on value if you ever do sell them on

keithmac

Guru
That would slice through it no problems, Dremel diamond disk, collet adapter, Milwaulkee Die Grinder and a 6ah battery but it would set you back 200 notes, depends on how many cables you want to cut :laugh:.

Joking aside I bought one for work and then another for home I was that impressed with it (and cursing every time I could have used it at home..).

Top Bottom