How the young South Americans go touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
No need for ORTLIEB , VAUDE or CARRADICE for the young ones. Its all about making the money last and thinking outside the box. If its too expensive they make do with recycled containers. One girl even made a good copy of a bob yak trailer.

P3274756.jpg

P3274757.jpg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
As an 18yo I once toured internationally to mid Wales.

I couldn't afford panniers so used a couple if army surplus bags about a £5 each!!

No need for ORTLIEB , VAUDE or CARRADICE for the young ones. Its all about making the money last and thinking outside the box. If its too expensive they make do with recycled containers. One girl even made a good copy of a bob yak trailer.

View attachment 665976

View attachment 665978

Impressive.

I'm guessing the weather is vv warm - wherever they are - as water looks like a VERY important resource to them!

Stopped outside Medellín a young guy pulled up beside me with a variety of bags and cheap panniers attached by string.
Spying my flag and appreciating it's utility he borrowed my knife, hacked off the branch of a nearby bamboo tree and made his own! Attaching was easy as he had a ball of twine!

In México city lots of delivery guys ride old MTBs with a specially attached steel rack. They'll happily carry 40kg on the back.

Mind you, there's quite a lot of unorthodox setups in this part of the world too, just not as many.
Too many people, I think, are of the opinion that they need "the best" and set about acquiring it. It can be a handy way to defer actually going.

Some of the happiest people I have met on the road are the ones who use what's available however "inappropriate" according to the Internet.

Having said all that there is a value on a soaking wet day to knowing that my sleeping gear is bone dry in my Ortlieb.

Jameshow

Veteran
No one likes a pedant:angry: , now where’s the ignore switch .:laugh::laugh::laugh:.
I’m sticking to overseas :boxing:, it was over 50 years ago I still remember a very rough crossing. By the time we arrived my traveling companion was the colour of the Incredible Hulk .

I was only joking I'm definitely not a pedant sorry! It's deffo a sea! Been stuck in benbridge due to a storm blowing through!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As an 18yo I once toured internationally to mid Wales.

I couldn't afford panniers so used a couple if army surplus bags about a £5 each!!

In my early 20's we went touring in northern Europe and also much of Scotland using ex army packs as panniers. They were a bit heavy by modern standards but worked ok and were cheap to buy.The weight was not too much of an issue as the rest of the equipment in those days { early 1960's } was also pretty heavy. A Black's Good Companions tent and lilo airbeds were not lightweight.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Impressive.

I'm guessing the weather is vv warm - wherever they are - as water looks like a VERY important resource to them!
No It's plastic 10 or 20 litre containers , cut away the top from one and cut another further down from the top . Then squeeze the bottom one and slip the top one over it, result a waterproof pannier for the Argentine Lagos and Southern Chile .

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I was only joking I'm definitely not a pedant sorry! It's deffo a sea! Been stuck in benbridge due to a storm blowing through!
@Jameshow Sorry late reply just seen your post . Definitely no need to apologise .
As I said my mate was green I was feeling a bit queasy , but I didn’t tell him . I just told him my Mum is from a Lowestoft fishing family ( she was) and so I didn’t have a problem.

Top Bottom