How tight is 6 Nm?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have got a wrench which goes down that far. It cost me about £25-£30 IIRC.

The down side is that I don't have an allen key socket to fit it (1/4" drive)

If you are really worried about it, I might be able to wangle something, and get an old boy (was a local club rider) I work with who lives in Redditch ('greenlands' area ??? )to take it home with him one evening you could get off him - how big is the allen key ?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
MacBludgeon said:
if it cracks then you've gone too far.

Going by feel at present, will probably break something at some point though:blush:

then you can but a steel bicycle and go by feel.

MacB..i think that yours is a steel bike. you'd need to be a gorilla to break it with normal handtools

Young Un said:
No the torque wrench is a big one and only seems to deal with 50 Nm up to something like 200Nm.

that's not a torque wrench for cycling applications, give it to a car mechanic or farmer:biggrin:

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

very-near said:
I have got a wrench which goes down that far. It cost me about £25-£30 IIRC.

The down side is that I don't have an allen key socket to fit it (1/4" drive)

If you are really worried about it, I might be able to wangle something, and get an old boy (was a local club rider) I work with who lives in Redditch ('greenlands' area ??? )to take it home with him one evening you could get off him - how big is the allen key ?

Thanks very much for offering very-near, but I have now sorted it thanks to Gary 'legend' D.

Cheer for the advice guys.

Steve

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Recommend torque wrenches from PVR Direct, Sealey, with calibration certificates. Most useful a STW1012, 2-24 Nm, (also AK623, 27.1 -108.5 Nm. for BB etc) Also Sealey S0533 Hex Bit & Holder set. Wrenches were about £25-30. Certificated kit - and they were discounted by more than 50% when I bought them. Best prices around at the time. relatively difficult to find 'light' torque wrenches anyway. The S0533 Hex bit and holder set is really worth having.
(this posted in earlier threads)

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

palinurus said:
Good luck, hope the wind drops for you.

Cheers, did a 27.05 for a ten which I am pretty pleased with considering there was a really big headwind for the first 5 miles. I also took a minute out of someone, who last week beat me by 5 seconds so oeverall I am pretty pleased.

Radius

SHREDDER
Nice one Steve, I think I gots the same seatpost as you, which I also fitted today. Ended up racing (well, following, but it's more fun that way) a training TTer through Richmond park, after I made up a fair bit of ground (he was slow up the hills) we stayed the same distance apart for about 10 miles :becool: I'll put it all down to the reduced weight of the post :smile:

02GF74

Über Member
tighten it until it no longer slips and then 1/4 turn more.

as ^^^ say, too far and you start to see it crack. I had this on mine so to preven this, I pushed in a short piece of copper pipe inside the post to the area where the clamp is to prevent it crushing. Ok, so I gained a few grammes but was able to use the post and bling is more imiportant!

Top Bottom