How tight should Look cleats be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
How tight should Look cleats be?

I usually do them up 'quite' tight (not really tight) becasue I wouldn't want them moving whilst cycling. However, I've noticed that the bolt holes in the bottom of my shoes have deformed, as if I've done them up too tight and they are starting to pull out of the sole of the shoe!?

anyone else had this problem. Perhaps they are just crap Pearl Izumi shoes - they were quite cheap!

Or maybe it's the power I generate; practically pulling the cleat off the shoe when pedalling!!!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I suspect you've done the bolts up too tightly - they shouldn't be deforming like that. Maybe loosen them up a tiny fraction!

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I suspect you've done the bolts up too tightly - they shouldn't be deforming like that. Maybe loosen them up a tiny fraction!

now that the deformation is there I don't think it will help. The shoes were cheap (£35 on sale) so I'll know for next time when I buy a new pair

Fiona N

Veteran
I've always done up Look bolts as tight as I could get them. Have the cleats move due to slackened bolts has been more of a problem than overtightening. But I used to use Sidi shoes and their soles are bombproof.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've always done up Look bolts as tight as I could get them. Have the cleats move due to slackened bolts has been more of a problem than overtightening.

+1

I always use some copper grease too, then it isn't a problem when you need to undo them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS If you get a carbon soled shoe, the screws have to be done up very very very tight. this carbon stuff don't move much, and it's crap for 'grab'.. :becool: Folk worry about bikes made of it. my shoes take more battering and it's like well hard :tongue:

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
if I had enough money to buy carbon sole shoes do you think I would have bought £30 shoes in the first place?

Zinn doesn't list looks but for CrankBro cleats it recommends 4-5Nm and 5-6Nm for Shimano' respectively, thats slightly tighter than a cable clamp should be but not overly tight (but that depends how tight your cable clamps are ;) ). I usually put my cleats to around 5Nm and I find they are then fit and forget :becool:

Top Bottom