How tight should RD jockey wheels be?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

I replaced my jockey wheels tonight because the old ones were worn away. While unscrewing the bolt that goes through the middle of the wheel, it was quite tight. When tightening the bolt with a new jockey wheel on, if I tighten it too hard the wheel becomes stuck and won't rotate. Is it normal for the bolt to be loose on the jockey wheel?

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Sounds wrong to me.

Usually, jockey wheels wont spin for a long time, but should be free to move without binding even when the bolt is done up tight.

Are you 100% sure that you put them in the right place - as in the top and bottom ones are slightly different. The top one should have a little side to side play.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I have replaced the jockey wheels on all my bikes recently for lighter options and when the bolt is tight the jockey wheels still spin as expected. As above there is something up with yours imho

accountantpete

Brexiteer
If they are Shimano then there should be a metal tube in the centre of the JW. This acts as the axle for the JW and is made slightly wider than the wheel itself. So when you tighten up you do so on the axle leaving the wheel free to rotate.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What the other 3 said. I've taken both the jockey wheels on my commuter apart to clean and grease them, and I did their bolts up fairly tight, with no subsequent problems. This is on a bike with Shimano derailleurs.

02GF74

Über Member
many jockey wheels have a bush which is slightly longer than the width of jockey wheels so the wheels will be able to spin no matter how tight the bolts are. also the bolts have a plain section that is of a larger diameter than the threaded part so it should not be possible to do it so tight that the jockey wheels do not spin.

when fitting the bolt, puit some loctite on the threaded part of the bolt to prevent it from unscrewing - this is how they are fitted to new mechs which may explain why it was hard to undo - do not overtighten or you will damage the threads in the cage thus ruining the mech.

Top Bottom