How to add brake levers to alloy bars without scratching them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

I have just finished polishing the GB alloy bars off my Raleigh Lenton. It took me bloody ages! But I'm very satisfied with the finish! But I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to put the brakes levers on without scratching the bars? I always struggle to get the Steel Raleigh brake levers onto racing bars without them digging into the metal when you push them round the curves.

Thanks

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Carefully? ;)

Wrap the clamp and any bits likely to dig in in PTFE plumbers tape, so it should slide rather than dig? You'll be finding it for ages after you try to tear it off, so I wouldn't often do it!

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Here's a picture of the bars and levers. The levers are really thick stiff steel and even when you take the nut and bolt out you cant pry them apart very much.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 50

dfthe1

Could you try a piece of silicone baking parchment or similar? Cut an strip about an inch wide, place it around the bar, put the lever over, slide it along carefully then remove the paper once it's in place?

stevevw

Guru
two thin ish nuts between the two parts of the clamp, thread a bit of studding through and then undo the nuts to spread the clamp. slide on loosen the nuts remove the studding, job done.

Top Bottom