How to approach this junction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
On my long commute I go through this junction. There are two lanes, approaching a traffic light with an ASL. I want to go straight on. The left hand lane is a bus and cycle lane for a long way back, but near the junction it becomes a left-turn lane as you can see at the point I have linked to. I usually come down the left hand lane, as,at the time I am there there, is usually a long queue of traffic in the right-hand lane going straight on. Twice I've had people pull into that left hand lane in front of me, and I'm concerned that at some point someone is going to pull left into me without seeing me.

The options that I can see are
1) sit in the queue of traffic
2) keep using the left hand lane but go very slowly and keep an eye out for people pulling left
3) filter on the right (something I am a bit nervous about trying)

Suggestions?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Use the left hand lane - it's a bus lane after the junction on the left anyway. That is what the lane was meant for after all (with obviously a small section for people to turn left)!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have a similar setup on my way into work but where a lot of the traffic comes from two straight on lanes into the left turn lane. I'd use the left hand lane carefully but then as soon as a car indicates left across you, use that opportunity to get to the right hand side of the left turn lane and filter as necessary to the front.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Personally I'd suggest you move into a strong primary position before the end of the cycle lane with a mind of getting into the right hand lane if possible and in such a visible position deter those that wish to go past and pull across you into the left lane.

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
Thanks for the comments.
Nearly everyone goes straight on at the junction - (the person who gave me the biggest fright by pulling left was actually just using the left lane to jump the queue and go straight on... :rolleyes: ). This means that getting into the queue in the right-hand lane isn't an option, because there aren't really any spaces appearing.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
fimm said:
Thanks for the comments.
Nearly everyone goes straight on at the junction - (the person who gave me the biggest fright by pulling left was actually just using the left lane to jump the queue and go straight on... :rolleyes: ). This means that getting into the queue in the right-hand lane isn't an option, because there aren't really any spaces appearing.
Use the left hand lane, take Primary position and watch for people cutting into it without checking (no way to mitigate that other than being visible by your position/lighting etc.). Continue straight across the junction and use the Bus Lane at the other side... traffic shouldn't be using it so you should be okay. Looks a bit hairy, but constant shoulder checks and good positioning should help you. If you ride assertively you'll get more respect than hugging the gutter and just trying to shoot across hoping no-one left hooks you.

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Use the left hand lane, take Primary position and watch for people cutting into it without checking (no way to mitigate that other than being visible by your position/lighting etc.).

Thanks Sh4rkyBloke and everyone else. I'm happy with going through the junction - there isn't a risk of left hooks there as any left turners will be in the left hand lane and I can keep clear of them. It's the risk of someone pulling into that lane before I get to the junction and taking me out that I'm concerned about; but the consensus seems to be to use the left hand lane and be careful, so I will stick with that.

Thanks again.

Jezston

Über Member
Also, get an Airzound.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Jezston said:
Also, get an Airzound.

Are there any self-contained alternatives to an airzound? I'm loathe to give up a bottle space on my bike I'm afraid but would like a fairly powerful, easy to use (ie whilst I'm possibly braking hard!) horn? Any ideas?

Jezston

Über Member
Airzounds don't use bottle space - you get a strip of velcro which I've wrapped round my top tube, furry-covered air bottle hangs off that.

Top Bottom