how to be a bad cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Why not write to the council asking them to change the lights to peak time only?
Might not have any effect... but a bit more likely than whingeing on here.

why is it deemed to be safer using the pedestrian crossing rather than just riding accross on the road ? theres probably only 10ft difference.
The law may be an ass - but as citizens we all have an obligation to try and stay within it.

oilyormo

gettin warmer??
or is it peoples attitudes with reggards to the person who can think for himself?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
How many cyclists have stopped at a red light on a pedestrian crossing in the early hours of the morning when there is no one there and the person who has pressed the button is now on the other side of the road?
I'm a very bad very bad cyclist :biggrin:

Licramite

Über Member
I suppose it comes down to common sense and how much of a death wish you have.

red light on pedestrian crossing , ok , it can be ignored if empty, and if you do collide with an unseen pedestrian, oops sorry. -

red light at a road junction - its a dangerous place, and oh its empty can easily turn into - oh shoot

now we are conditioned not to want to kill each other, and if your in an arguement with a car or lorry - your going to loose (unless your on a motorcycle - then your invincible and obviously made of high tensile steel and a head on collision with a lorry will leave it wrecked, and if you don,t think like this why do you drive like a complete kamikazi)

so if through your stupidity you do kill yourself under someones car, they are going to be upset about it for a very long time, even though it was you who through your own arrogance killed yourself on their car/lorry/mobility scooter

so always remember A) in the event of a collision with a vehicle - you loose - possibly your life or legs or spine.
B) just think of the person who is going to kill/cripple you - and the effect it will have on them (unless its me and I will just think - muppet tough shoot)

so is it so hard to stop for a few seconds. -

berty bassett

Legendary Member
leaving myself open to insults can i ask the people who think its ok to go through red lights , where the line is drawn at what vehicle can go through red lights ? - i presume that push bikes can - so does that mean anything that moves less than 45 mph like scooters and horses ? or is it just us because it is so hard to unclip and put a foot down - i also have a car and a van - can i go through with them if i think its clear on the other side cos its real hard work changing gear and i am in a hurry

Dan B

Disengaged member
- i presume that push bikes can - so does that mean anything that moves less than 45 mph like scooters and horses ?
I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but as a a matter of curiosity, can you find any law to say that horses can't?

sent from my outboard brain

berty bassett

Legendary Member
no i can't find any law that says a horse can't - mainly because i can't be bothered to try ^_^ but i would have thought if horses are rode on the road then they should adhere to the rules same as we should

Sara_H

Guru
Interesting arguments about jumping red lights.

Part of my route home takes me along a cycle path through a retail park, which then joins the road in the retail park car park with traffic lights to get back onto the main road. Sensors at these traffic lights dont sense me on the bike, and since I'm often travelling outside the retail parks opening hours I'd literally wait for hours for a car to join me to make the lights flip to green.

My answer is to hop onto the pavement and use a pedestrian crossing about twenty metres away, If there are peds (which there aren't, usually) I get off and walk, but no doubt my actions get all the passing motorists tutting about my actions.

At the end of the day, we're trying to navigate an infrastructure designed for cars. It seems obvious that other road users are going to have to use a bit of common sense and bend the rules occasionally.

Dan B

Disengaged member
i would have thought if horses are rode on the road then they should adhere to the rules same as we should
By that argument, so should pedestrians who are walking on the road

berty bassett

Legendary Member
By that argument, so should pedestrians who are walking on the road
definitely !! wouldn't it be a lovely place if we all followed simple rules to make life easier - the trouble is when some think that the rules are stupid and shouldn't apply to them - then people who are trying to go through life easily have to start second guessing those who think they are above the rules

DougieAB

Getting the messages
Talking of stupid cyclists, on Friday afternoon I passed a guy on a bike who was carrying a green plastic water butt with one hand as he stopped at lights to turn right. What goes through your mind to think "yeah, I'll take the bike to Homebase to buy that water butt" Muppet!

Dan B

Disengaged member
definitely !! wouldn't it be a lovely place if we all followed simple rules to make life easier - the trouble is when some think that the rules are stupid and shouldn't apply to them
If those people are pedestrians, then the rules (at least, the rules that require vehicle users to stop at red traffic lights) *don't* apply to them. No more than the rules about staying off the pavements or needing to be licenced to use the road.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

berty bassett

Legendary Member
If those people are pedestrians, then the rules (at least, the rules that require vehicle users to stop at red traffic lights) *don't* apply to them. No more than the rules about staying off the pavements or needing to be licenced to use the road.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
i didn't mean that if you are walking on the path and you see a red light you should stop - that would be silly - although that is what happens at pelican crossings in a sort of way ( you wait for a green ) what i mean is that if everyone just does a simple thing like follow a simple rule then there would be no second guessing impatient people willing to put my life in danger , i also think that it no where near the same to compare a walking person to a horse - a horse is transport with a mind of its own and i should think they would definitely would have to stop at lights in fear of being spooked going through head long into traffic making it more dangerous in my opinion . i can't see how there is any similarity between a pedestrian and a 1 tonne 8 foot horse

Stonepark

Über Member
Interesting arguments about jumping red lights.

Part of my route home takes me along a cycle path through a retail park, which then joins the road in the retail park car park with traffic lights to get back onto the main road. Sensors at these traffic lights dont sense me on the bike, and since I'm often travelling outside the retail parks opening hours I'd literally wait for hours for a car to join me to make the lights flip to green.

My answer is to hop onto the pavement and use a pedestrian crossing about twenty metres away, If there are peds (which there aren't, usually) I get off and walk, but no doubt my actions get all the passing motorists tutting about my actions.

At the end of the day, we're trying to navigate an infrastructure designed for cars. It seems obvious that other road users are going to have to use a bit of common sense and bend the rules occasionally.

Write/email your council road department and report lights as faulty if they won't pick you up (whether road sensor induction loop or IR camera) and ask for them to be adjusted asap.

Dan B

Disengaged member
i can't see how there is any similarity between a pedestrian and a 1 tonne 8 foot horse
How about between a cyclist and the driver of a 1 tonne 5 foot by 7 foot by 15 foot car? If there is no similarity, why are they bound by the same laws?

sent from my outboard brain

Top Bottom