How to best go about finding new forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hannibal01

Dear all,

I have a Cinelli Gazzetta Della Strada 2014, medium frame, which is very much my baby! Not had it long, but thanks to an awful driver I have to replace the forks.

Having contacted Wiggle (who I bought them from), Chicken Cycle Kit (the supplier) and even Cinelli themselves, no-one seems to be able to sell me a set of matching forks! I'm looking for some alternatives.

Any advice or suggestions at all on how I go about this? What measurements do I need to make sure are right to match my frame and wheels? Where is the best place to look for this sort of part?

The best info on the bike I can find is here:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cinelli/gazzetta-della-strada-2014-touring-bike-ec046650

Thanks for any help you can offer! Please let me know if this is the wrong sort of question to ask in the forum or anything like that!

Thanks,
Hannibal01

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Why not get a builder to make some? They'll be just what you want then, colour and all.

shadow master

Look like a rather ordinary pair of standard 700c Ahead chromo forks to me,apart from the rack mounts that could be a pain

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I wouldn't say they were ordinary (they're Columbus after all) but a decent frame builder should be able to source them (or a Reynolds alternative) and then colourmatch them to the frame. It won't be cheap though.

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you had the frame checked, I have never damaged a front fork without the frame going at the same time. You may of course be lucky.

lpretro1

It is difficult to get decent after-market forks to match a certain make of bike - many bike manufacturers just don't supply them. Best option is a frame builder.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How many LBSs are there in your area and how much time can you afford trogging round them? I ask because every bike shop I've ever visited has a load of unwanted forks hanging from hooks on the ceiling and someone is bound to have what you want.

Otherwise treat the bike to some lovely light, smooth carbon eXotic forks from Carbon Components.

Or buy these Reynolds fork legs and Cinelli crown and get a frame builder to braze them together for you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reynolds-...921?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1d9f6041

Dear all,

I have a Cinelli Gazzetta Della Strada 2014, medium frame, which is very much my baby! Not had it long, but thanks to an awful driver I have to replace the forks.

Having contacted Wiggle (who I bought them from), Chicken Cycle Kit (the supplier) and even Cinelli themselves, no-one seems to be able to sell me a set of matching forks! I'm looking for some alternatives.

Any advice or suggestions at all on how I go about this? What measurements do I need to make sure are right to match my frame and wheels? Where is the best place to look for this sort of part?

The best info on the bike I can find is here:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cinelli/gazzetta-della-strada-2014-touring-bike-ec046650

Thanks for any help you can offer! Please let me know if this is the wrong sort of question to ask in the forum or anything like that!

Thanks,
Hannibal01
I suspect you have a bit of a problem. Because that is a touring frame with space for mudguards and wide tyres, the fork may have more clearance between the crown and tyre than a standard fork. It will therefore require long reach brakes to make up for the extra space. Most brake calipers have a "reach" range of about 35 to 45mm IIRC and long reach ones up to 55mm. I am unsure of the exact reach. May I suggest you tel us the brake's model number and hopefully you can work back from there to find out if it is a long reach or short reach brake and that in turn will tell you what fork you need.

If it is a Shimano brake, the code would be best - BRXXXX. The model name e.g. 105 or Ultegra is not helpful.

Alternatively, if you have the old fork with you, see if you can measure from the inside of the crown to the centre of where an axle would sit in the drop-outs. Then, is your current fork a complete write-off? A frame-builder can replace just the legs or steerer.

Edit: I just looked at the spec sheet and reverse-engineered my own question. It is a long-reach fork. This reduces your options from one laying about in a shop. Don't waste time, go to a builder.

OP
OP
H

Hannibal01

Thanks very much for all your help! I will look for a frame builder. I have found some forks that fit alright until they arrive.

Thanks again, I amazed how helpful this forum is!

Hannes

Top Bottom