How to buy number plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've never bought new number plates before, how does one go about it? Only ask because all the online sellers ask for original documents to be posted, and I'm not doing that!

Slick

Guru
Walk into any shop advertising the service, and show them your documents.

Its been a requirement for years now.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Most Motor Factor / car parts places will make them on site. Take your documents with you. Even Halfrauds, but expect them to put their logo on them.

CXRAndy

Guru
I've never bought new number plates before, how does one go about it? Only ask because all the online sellers ask for original documents to be posted, and I'm not doing that!

Go online, some require photos of your docs, others don't.

I normally buy mine from Irish website, which do not require documents.

Never had a problem with the quality of the plate or passing MOTs

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
New plates used to come with a plastic film on them. I got pulled over by the police once and told to take it off. They thought it was a cunning wheeze to fool speed cameras.

I used to make them in Halfords. We had a list of things which had to be presented in order for us to make them , passport or driver's licence. I think a telephone number was also required . One customer refused to give it so I told him I couldn't make it as it was a legal requirement.
I think that there has to be an etched logo in the plastic for them to be legal.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I would love a pound for every pair of number plates that I have made since I was boy of 16 I could be rich .

Sharky

Guru
Associated, but slightly off topic.

I bought a number plate when I bought my cycle carrier. Can't remember what paper work was needed.

Roll on a few years and the plate on my car was getting to the point where the numbers were being contaminated by dirt getting in between the laminate and potentially an MOT failure.

So because the one I had for my cycle carrier was nice and clean, I gave the garage that one, expecting the old grubby one to be returned and I could use it for the occasional journey with the cycle carrier.

But to my dismay, when I went to collect the car after the service, I was told that my old number plate had been destroyed and thrown in the skip. Apparently, it is a legal requirement to destroy old plates when replacing with new ones.

So anybody thinking of doing the same, make sure that the garage know that you have a legitimate use for the old one and supply any paperwork that they need go see.

D

Deleted member 26715

But to my dismay, when I went to collect the car after the service, I was told that my old number plate had been destroyed and thrown in the skip. Apparently, it is a legal requirement to destroy old plates when replacing with new ones.
I'd call BS on that one, I've never heard of it before

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
DSC_2979.JPG

If you zoom in, this is where I got mine from. No proof required as far as I remember.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
ok thanks, looks like I'll be walking into a shop then, but I might shop around online and see if anyone else accepts scanned copies of documents. Maybe Halfords at a push, but it will be grudgingly!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Mrs V's number plates have the original garage's postcode (smaller) below the plate number.

She keeps trying to put that number into carpark pay meters, much to my anger :laugh:

Top Bottom