How to bypass paywalls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eurostar

Guru
Anyone want to share tips? I'll start:

To bypass the FT, Economist and Onion paywalls (and probably lots of others) with Chrome, this extension works well https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg
Install extension >Click on the little face button at top right of your Chrome window > Select Googlebot

This makes Chrome behave a little differently, so after you've finished reading you may want to go back to normal by clicking on the face again and selecting Default. If the extension stops working try closing and reopening Chrome.

For the Telegraph with Chrome, click Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Content Settings > All Cookies & Site Data > type "tele" in the Search Cookies box > Remove all (You need to do this whether or not you are using the above extension.)

Local libraries let you share their online subscriptions to Cycling Active and some other popular magazines including Computer Shopper, Top Gear, Cosmopolitan, Esquire. Marie Claire, National Geographic, New York Review of Books and Rolling Stone on PC, Mac, iPad or Android. Check the Online Resources page of your library's site. All you need is the account number on your library card. Presumably one person's library membership could be shared with unlimited numbers of other people if you share passwords.

For the Times and the other Murdoch rags, I found a Chrome extension which worked for one day before being defeated.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you don't mind having to foot any and all bills arising from sharing your library membership & password with others.
Most councils list such usage as against their policy.

classic33

Leg End Member
You think they're going to send a bill for a free service? Do you always post such pointless waffle?
And if your card number & password are used elsewhere, how do you start explaining that?
Not as pointless as you may feel, when you have the card removed from you for you misusing it!

More and more computer systems are used in library systems. Just for day to day usage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eurostar

Eurostar

Guru
It's shocking how library services are abused. The other day I borrowed Imperium by Robert Harris and I didn't pay a penny. I can see from the library sticker on the fly leaf that at least 70 other people have exploited this shady deal. You'd better write to Random House to alert them.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's shocking how library services are abused. The other day I borrowed Imperium by Robert Harris and I didn't pay a penny. I can see from the library sticker on the fly leaf that at least 70 other people have exploited this shady deal. You'd better write to Random House to alert them.
  • I agree to abide by the rules and regulations of the Library Service and the Acceptable Use Policy for Internet access in Lambeth Libraries -Read the regulations and guidance
  • I agree to notify the library of a change of address immediately
  • I agree to accept liability for all items borrowed on this ticket
  • I agree to notify the library immediately if the ticket is lost or stolen (you will be held responsible for all items borrowed on that ticket up to notification)
  • Information received from this form will be stored in a database and used to help improve services. By completing it you are giving permission for answers to be processed. No information will be passed, or sold, to external organisations.
I agree to the terms above

2. Conditions of access

Access to computers in Lambeth Libraries & Archives is available to all library customers in possession of a valid library membership. Your library membership is non transferable and bookings for a membership cannot be used by anybody other than the named user.

Read
4.2 Personal Security

OP
OP
Eurostar

Eurostar

Guru
Not the same thing. The Telegraph gives free access to 20 articles. If you delete cookies they give you 20 more. If you block cookies there is no 20 limit at all. The terms of use of their site say that you are not obliged to accept cookies. The Economist terms are similar. but the limit is 1 article. Both publications give free access for marketing purposes. It's their choice. They can always adopt the Times' approach and not give any free access at all.

Morally I have no qualms about depriving the billionaire Barclay brothers. They get their £60 million annual profit come hell or high water, even if it means allowing advertisers to censor their newspaper. Their own journalists are accusing them of that and saying that by doing so they have broken their contract with their readers. http://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-into-telegraph-guidelines-over-hsbc-coverage

The people who are suffering are the journalists.Many staff journalists have been sacked. I used to be a freelance contributor. They cut the freelance rate of pay by about 40% without warning or consultation. They commissioned an article from me without telling me this until I'd written it and submitted my invoice. I received less than the legal minimum wage and decided not to write for them any more,

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
They cut the freelance rate of pay by about 40% without warning or consultation. They commissioned an article from me without telling me this until I'd written it and submitted my invoice. I received less than the legal minimum wage and decided not to write for them any more,

You must be a slow writer then.

The quickest route to a pay rise would be to up your wpm.

OP
OP
Eurostar

Eurostar

Guru
Er, thanks. Unfortunately I was writing technical articles which required much more research than writing time. But there's no allowance for research.

The people who are suffering are the journalists.Many staff journalists have been sacked. I used to be a freelance contributor. They cut the freelance rate of pay by about 40% without warning or consultation. They commissioned an article from me without telling me this until I'd written it and submitted my invoice. I received less than the legal minimum wage and decided not to write for them any more,
Most likely because of people expecting content for free and circumnavigating the paid process.

Word of caution, if you start changing the properties of your browsers too many times to evade paywalls or other firewall elements you will find yourselves getting declined for online purchases but have absolutely no idea why and the merchants won't tell you why.

You probably end up in a forum like this asking for help.

Top Bottom