How to choose the right fork?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello Everyone ! My name is Mateo and I am a french physiotherapist recently arrived in Glasgow.

I love road cycling and fixing bikes !
But today, I have a tricky question..!

I just purchased a frame Tenet 02 from Saracen, second hand. The frame has never been built (it's new) and the fork is missing.

I was looking in buying the fork online but I am unsure on how to chose?

I can see the internal diameter is about 32mm (1 -1/4 inches) but unfortunately I can't find any fork online at this size. Most of the forks I find online are 1 -1/8 inches ... Is there a trick ?

I would be happy to hear any suggestion ?

I thank you in advance for your help,

Mateo

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Is the head tube the same top and bottom? Can you post a photo?

Ok, I googled it. It has an integrated headset and will need a matching fork whuch is thicker at the bottom, with the correct tapered seat. I don't know if aftermarket forks will fit.

OP
OP
M

Matthieuhaentjens

Hello everyone ! thank you so much for your help
I attached photos
I must confess this is a little out of my scope of expertise, specially with the measurements in inch

I thank you in advance for your help !

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-05-23 at 16.20.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-23 at 16.20.06.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-05-23 at 16.19.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-23 at 16.19.56.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 3
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-05-23 at 16.10.21.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-23 at 16.10.21.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 3
You’ve got to remember that the internal diameter on the frame Head tube is going to be bigger than the external diameter of the fork steerer. This extra space will be taken up by the upper and lower headset bearings.

Your measurement of 32mm internal diameter mentioned in your first post is probably 33mm.

See the following pdf from FDA to see how the No.42 headset bearings will fit into your head tube:
https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/files/index/download/id/627ec69c87b0442b6228ac2de5791d1897/

You will need a fork with a tapered steerer, starting at 1 1/8 inches at the top and 1 1/2 inches at the bottom (as mentioned in the pdf).

You will then need to decide on fork material (probably carbon) and axle types (straight through or quick release) and whether you need a mounting for a disc brake or a hole drilled through the fork for mounting a rim brake.

I don’t know how mechanically-minded you are, but be warned that installing a new fork is not really a beginners job, although it can be done with a little care. You will need to install a crown race (this should come with your headset) onto your fork for the bottom headset bearing to sit on. You will also need to cut off your steerer to the correct length to suit your riding position. You need to make sure you get this correct, because if you cut off too much the fork will be of no use to you anymore.
You will also need to correctly install a steerer insert (more care required with a carbon steerer) which, in conjunction with the correct headset spacers will allow you to tighten everything together.

If you are a total beginner I would get your local cycle shop to install the fork/headset as it’s very easy to cock it up.

OP
OP
M

Matthieuhaentjens

Hello ! Thanks for your answer ! I really appreciate your help.

I found this online: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZTTO-425...noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

do you think it could fit?
Then I'll find a 1-1/8 fork online, I think that part could be easier. Honestly regarding the fork I might go for the cheapest, as I can't spend so much money on a fork, unfortunately.

How to decide the appropriate lenght for the steerer ?

As you can see, I am not so mechanically minded, but willing to learn !
Once again, thank you for your help.

Mateo

Top Bottom