How to convert Trek AL2 domane for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I was to go touring with my bike, how can I convert it to a touring bike, since realistically I won't buy a new touring bike?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Get backpacking bags for it.

If I was to go touring with my bike, how can I convert it to a touring bike, since realistically I won't buy a new touring bike?
Where do you want to go?
For how long?
How far do you want to travel?
What do you need (and want) to bring with you?

When you've thought about and answered those questions you'll have a better idea of what you need and if your bike will work.

My sincere advice, based on your other posts is to slow down and take a breath.

I'd also suggest seriously considering a company that can provide a basic bike, a route, accommodation options and even a baggage service. It removes all the stress, you have backup, if needed and while it may be a bit expensive, it can be a great introduction to the world of touring and save you a lot of money in the long run. It worked for me😊

By the way, I"m stumped as to what a "touring bike" is^_^

Good luck!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Your Domane looks to have fixing points so a rear rack and pannier bags would be my choice.
Ortlieb roller classic are excellent bags and worth the investment (buy cheap buy twice!) £102/pair from Spa are the cheapest I’ve seen in the UK.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m5b0s74p3680/ORTLIEB-Back-Roller-Classic

Last edited:
Touring bikes differ from road bikes in a few key areas. They have a longer wheelbase and more relaxed frame angles for greater stability under load. They have stronger wheels, they have bigger tyres for greater comfort and mudguards, which require greater frame clearances. Touring bikes have a more upright tiding position than a full on road bike, but your Trek has higher bars as standard. And touring bikes have much lower gearing to cope with the extra weight of your luggage. You could definitely go touring on your bike. But you'll want to ensure that your route is smooth and not too hilly and can you manage with the limited amount of luggage that your bike will allow? Look at rear pannier set ups and a good sized handlebar bag. And if your frame is big enough you might squeeze in a good sized frame bag.

If your bike has rear rack threaded eyelets then fit a rack. You have a short wheelbase so use smaller panniers to avoid heel stike or a rear heavy balance.
Fit a bar bag at the front.
That will do you for light/weekend touring but some adventurous riders tour globally with this setup.
Without pannier eyelets you can fit a weaker, heavier seatpost rack or a large Carradice style saddlebag.

Ripple

Veteran
If you cannot fit racks - go for bikepacking. Apidura bike bags are pricey but they're waterproof and bombproof and nuclear-explosion-proof etc.

If you can fit racks - fit them then. :smile: I've got ETC rear panniers, they cost me about £80 for both and I can confirm they're waterproof.

Though the only thing definitely 100% waterproof is a black bin bag. Also my own experience talks.

Both bikes in pics below are mine. Both survived many thousands miles of touring in Europe in rain and scorching sun. Loads of memories and adventures to remember and to repeat in the future.

Top Bottom