How to cycle in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Today I was putting on waterproofs beside the road and watching up the road. Noticed a man on a bike weaving at the junction from one side of the lane to the other... realised he was holding a pole.

Well it wasn't a pole, and he proceeded to demonstrate that he can cycle with no hands whilst holding a pole ... but that he couldn't convert said pole into its erect form and cycle at the same time. He then cycled onto the common as he put up his umbrella. So he stopped, sorted himself out and continued on his way.

2hz32iq.jpg

ezllw.jpg

2iqlhzd.jpg

Personally I prefer my waterproofs
smile.gif

Arch

Married to Night Train
I saw a little old lady in Ireland once, cycling on a fairly main road, with an umbrella.

It was the same day I saw a chap bringing his little girl home from school - sitting in the front bucket of his JCB!

potsy

Rambler
Love the fact that it's pouring down,Summers is putting on waterproofs yet still has time to dig out camera/phone and take these pics,she'll do anything to win the photo competition;)

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Love the fact that it's pouring down,Summers is putting on waterproofs yet still has time to dig out camera/phone and take these pics,she'll do anything to win the photo competition;)

Bare in mind that I started noticing his odd behaviour at the traffic lights and he was cycling very slowly ... what I don't understand is why he didn't put it up whilst stationary at the traffic lights. I took the photos as I wasn't convinced people would believe me or assume it was a wee umbrella rather than a full sized one.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Bare in mind that I started noticing his odd behaviour at the traffic lights and he was cycling very slowly ... what I don't understand is why he didn't put it up whilst stationary at the traffic lights. I took the photos as I wasn't convinced people would believe me or assume it was a wee umbrella rather than a full sized one.
either summerdays is a scots lassie, or i'm not up on the latest uses umbrellas are put to…

Howard

Well it wasn't a pole, and he proceeded to demonstrate that he can cycle with no hands whilst holding a pole ... but that he couldn't convert said pole into its erect form and cycle at the same time. He then cycled onto the common as he put up his umbrella. So he stopped, sorted himself out and continued on his way.

Good spot. Saw a lot of cyclists doing this when in Japan last year. Umbrella in one hand, phone in the other...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Good spot. Saw a lot of cyclists doing this when in Japan last year. Umbrella in one hand, phone in the other...

Eh? You can't be serious.

On a related theme, I read somewhere that upmarket Japanese women walk around with an umbrella at the height of summer - they don't want to tan.

Apparantely, Asians, from the Sub-Continent to the Far East, consider fair skin more desirable. Yet, we have white Westerners wanting to get darker.

Madness!

DavieB

MIA

On a related theme, I read somewhere that upmarket Japanese women walk around with an umbrella at the height of summer - they don't want to tan.

Apparantely, Asians, from the Sub-Continent to the Far East, consider fair skin more desirable. Yet, we have white Westerners wanting to get darker.

Madness!

Im off to Japan, pretty pale me
icon_smile_clown.gif
Japanese girls will be falling over me

Howard

Completely serious. They also ride on the pavement and when on the road, into oncomming traffic. Me and the ladyfriend cycled round Kyoto - was an eye-opening experience to say the least.

Top Bottom