How to differentiate!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alok

how do I differentiate between a Road Bike and a Hybrid bike?? I've just heard that Hybrids are a combination of both Road as well as MTB!!! is it actually?

Grasen

how do I differentiate between a Road Bike and a Hybrid bike?? I've just heard that Hybrids are a combination of both Road as well as MTB!!! is it actually?

road bikes ride on the road and hybrid bikes ride on hybrids ???????

or maybe not.

road bikes are for racing and not for comfort
hybrid bikes are for leisure and not for racing
mtb bikes are for kids and not for adults

GrasB

Veteran
road bikes are for racing and not for comfort
hybrid bikes are for leisure and not for racing
mtb bikes are for kids and not for adults
Not even close! A hybrid is now a term used for a bike that doesn't really sit in one of the classical bike categories. You get all kinds of hybrids, some which are little more than a road bike with flat handle bars & V or disc brakes (See the Boardman Hybrid, I ride one of these on a daily basis & this really is a peer to a normal road bike in terms of feel & all but flat out must-win performance terms). You'll also find bikes which are basically a hardtail MTB with narrow (for an MTB) rims & wearing skinny tyres. There are also a raft of bikes in between (take a look at the Ridgeback Rapide & Rapide Equip lines). City bikes, such as the Ridgeback Metro series, are often refereed to as 'hybrids'. Then what to make of bikes like the Trek Portland, they're not a road bike, certainly not a mountain bike nor a crosser & certainly don't fit into the touring bike class.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
All of these terms are just sales pitch, there are no strict rules as to what any of these bikes are... :wacko:

Norry1

Legendary Member
I agree with this quote from CTC hybrid site that "mcshroom" links to

Having just started cycling myself a few months ago, and asking the same question - the best option is to decide what sort of riding you want to do - and then look around for a bike that best meets those requirements.

Martin

jatin

Thank you everyone for the Info even i was searching for this thread...Now if I'm planning to get a Road bike which one should I actually go for...It can be anywhere around 60-80 thousand rupees!

OP
OP
A

alok

Hey everyone thank you for the info about Hybrid bikes. If I wanna buy one of these ( Schwinn Sporterra Comp, Bianchi Camaleonte 2-Disc ) which one should I go for...If you think I'll get even better than these please suggest!

Top Bottom