how to drill hubs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Don't drill.
Use a needle file to cut a narrow slot, radially, on the axle side only.

or use CX-ray spokes, that are 2.3x0.9mm and fit through normal spoke holes.

OP
OP
M

mr-marty-martin

ah right get ya, ma m8's hope hubs do this aswell, ive got a feeling they were machined like, cos there perfection...

is it just a case of trial and error untill the spoke fits through then, shouldnt realy be able to wreck a pair of hubs?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You'll wreck your hubs. Better to get spokes that fit properly, and unless you are an uber athlete, aero spokes will make such little difference it ain't worth doing

ASC1951

Guru
mr-marty-martin said:
jst that ive got a full set that match the rim...
I think it's one of those 'not worth doing' jobs, like repairing a freehub.

You've obviously got the kit to build up a wheel, so if it was me I would buy the specific hub rather than hacking at a spare one.

OP
OP
M

mr-marty-martin

fair points lads...

think i'll use them as crit wheels ( for the less important ones to save my good wheels ) so aero spokes would come in handy, best thing would be if i could find some old hope ti hubs that he's got them built onto atm...but that wont be easy lets be honest...

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You are creating stress points that don't need to be there. The designer never meant them to be there either, so when you build your wheel, and put it under pressure/strain, any potential weakness is exaggerated, so the weak point is where it will crack.

There is a very popular Hub manufacturer that has a history of cracking anyway, so i hope you are not using them.

Top Bottom