How to dry a wet chain before lubing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatboy123cycling

In my opinion it can be dangerous to use an airline to 'dry ' you chain.
1. You should always use safety glasses when use an airline
2. Make sure there is no one in the 'firing ' line.
3. When you use air pressure - yes, you will blow water out - but you will also compact any debris into the chain.
4. Use an oil based cleaner

gbb

Legendary Member
In my opinion it can be dangerous to use an airline to 'dry ' you chain.
1. You should always use safety glasses when use an airline
2. Make sure there is no one in the 'firing ' line.
3. When you use air pressure - yes, you will blow water out - but you will also compact any debris into the chain.
4. Use an oil based cleaner
You're not a H&S officer are you ? :laugh:
Seriously though, most is correct if you want to be safe and careful.
I work in engineering and have access to everything you could possibly want, a compressor included. When i was a heavy weather commuter i used to, on a regular basis...
Remove chain, wipe loose debris off, spray with a degreaser then blast out with an airline, its amazing how much black crud keeps coming out. Then soak in a tray of oil, then hang it up on a nail to drip excess oil into same tray, then wipe wipe wipe and refit.

The truth is, that sounds a lot of faff, but having everything around you meant it was literally 5 minutes or so work.
The other truth is, despite very rigorous chain care....it made very little difference to the mileage life of my chains.

I now work on the principle, wipe clean, a drop of oil onto each roller, let it soak in for 5 minutes then wipe wipe wipe. A chain isnt THAT expensive.

battered

Guru
I have a solution:
Hose off loose crud. Shake off excess water.
Apply lubricant of choice, preceded by WD40 if desired (I don't bother).
Ride it up and down the street a few times.
Put it back in the garage.
Go and do something more interesting. The water WILL evaporate, the lubricant WILL remain. If you get a few rust spots once it's dry, relube the chain.

WD40 is a mixture of 20% light oil in naptha (petrol, give or take) and will soften lubricants. The naptha will evaporate very quickly, the light oil remains and mixes with your lubricant.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Remove chain from bike, place on a baking tray. Place in top shelf of oven at gas mark 6 for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Refit chain to bike.

My last major clean of the bike involved removing the chain & giving it a degrease & wash, then to dry it I popped it on top of our multi fuel stove, not quite as drastic as the oven method ^_^ When Mrs SD came home "why is there a bike chain on the stove?" Her response might have been more severe had it been in the oven :laugh:

bikeman66

There is usually a fair bit of moisture in compressed air too, so it could be self defeating. A decent chain cleaner with appropriate cleaning solution will de-grease the chain anyway, meaning you still have to make a good effort to re-lube it anyway. If you're that worried about it, use a hairdryer. At the end of the day, it's just not worth losing any sleep over. As long as the chain is cleaned and re-lubed it will be fine.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I leave the bike in my passageway (covered, but effectively 'outside' with a through draught. I leave it there, then clean and lube it a few days later :smile:

400bhp

Guru
Dry chain-spray GT85-leave for a few hours - return - oil the chain.

Top Bottom