How to get audio from DVDs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
A friend has got Yes Prime Minister on DVD but wants to make an MP3 of it for listening to it whilst driving. Does anybody know if it is possible and how to get just the sound from a telly programme and record it?

buddha

Veteran
Slow/crap method: Does his TV/DVD player have a headphone socket? He could connect this to his PC line-in and record it that way.

Faster method: He could rip the DVD to a file on his PC. And then use a (free) tool to extract the audio. Search google for "rip audio from dvd" for various free tools:

eg: http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/guides/dvd/extract-audio-from-video-to-mp3.htm

Rob S

An easy way is to use an MP3 plsayer with built in encoder like my iRiver iHP120....then you can record sound off anything, telly, radio, record player etc.

Ottherwise use something like DVD Decrypter to rip the VOB file from the DVD on to your PC...then use a converter such as Super from eRight Soft to convert the VOB file....one of the formats you can convert it to being MP3.

i've used 'ace dvd audio ripper' to do this. you end up with a WAV file. you can then convert the WAV file to pretty much any other audio file you like. i used dB poweramp music converter to do this.
cheers, velocidad.

Top Bottom