How to get more MPG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
And to do it legally.....

Buy a more fuel efficient car.

DRHysted

Guru
And to do it legally.....

Buy a more fuel efficient car.

There isn't a fuel efficient enough car out there (said by the person who went from a vehicle doing 20 mpg to one doing 40 mpg, who still isn't happy enough with that, but doesn't have an MPs wage so will not be changing until this one dies).

screenman

Legendary Member
There isn't a fuel efficient enough car out there (said by the person who went from a vehicle doing 20 mpg to one doing 40 mpg, who still isn't happy enough with that, but doesn't have an MPs wage so will not be changing until this one dies).

Why did you buy it if you are not happy with it, seems like a lack of research going on as there are plenty of cars doing 50mpg plus.

GrasB

Veteran
If you don't mind a lot of transmission whine then swap all cogs & sprockets in your 'box & diff for straight cut items.

Tune the hell out of the engine but keep it nice & driveable (this has worked for me on 3 occasions).

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Google hypermiles, it's great fun :biggrin:

screenman

Legendary Member
I get more MPG out of my Passat B6 than is stated by the manufacturer.

I have a 26 mile drive often that takes on average 46 minutes taking it steady returns me 54.6 mpg. Now rushing knocks the time down to 42 minutes and 46mpg. For me it is a no brainer, also I average 8mpg better than my wife does when we drive the same car.

I am not a steady Eddie who holds up traffic but I do read the road drive up to the limits and avoid all the things that use excessive fuel.

GrasB

Veteran
[QUOTE 2361635, member: 9609"]Take a look at the article linked in the original post - difficult to do research when the manufacturers are being so misleading with their official figures.[/quote]
Oddly when I've used hire cars I tend to find that I'm within a stones throw of published figures on cars which are <3 years old :scratch:. Those cars tend to be abused so aren't likely to offer the best economy a factory vehicle can offer.

If you look at how people drive, most are driving to close to the car in front so have to, over, react to every little speed change they make & makes it hard to read the road ahead properly. They also accelerate to gently or too quickly both of which waste a lot of fuel.

Wasn't there a test last year that showed drivers could save between 10 - 25% of their fuel costs by driving sensibly?
Most drivers, yes. In my Alfa there's a near 10mpg difference between me driving & my OH in urban conditions. Even on a motorway I tend to get better economy out of the car.

Top Bottom