How to improve canti brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Avid canti brakes on cube cross race are just so poor in wet conditions. No matter what I try they just squeal horrifically loud and performance is poor in wet.
Any ideas ? I'm thinking of taking it to LBS for setting up and seeing if they can improve or just change for a hybrid with disc. I was thinking of changing to flat bars (better for back) and keeping it but not sure.
I like the do it all style of the cube but not the brakes or drops

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Squealing with cantilevers is usually down to toe in. You want the front edge of the block to hit the rim first. I used to finally tighten everything with the brake gently on with a match stick under the back of the block. I was impressed with V brakes!

The main thing is don't try any other sort of brake! I still haven't had a go with disks for example! One other thing, with some cross bikes, the front brake stop is too high or low and this can cause the forks to judder.

What blocks are on it?

outlash

also available in orange
I've been having the same problems with the cantis on my crosser. I've changed the brake blocks to Koolstop Salmons and bought good quality cables with compression-less outers, there has been a noticeable improvement.

Tony.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
The other thing with Cantilever brakes is getting the straddle wire right. Some have a very helpful guide that shows the ideal 90 degree angle that the two arms of the wire should form as they go towards the brake arms. Too steep or shallow an angle will make it either almost impossible to set up or so weak that the brakes are virtually useless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom