How to keep record of how far travelled and MPH achieved

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Nothing wrong with a diary and pen and paper if you're just after keeping a basic log. I use Strava for keeping track of my rides and have done for a few years, you can just set the app recording and then stuff it in a pocket out of the way.

Ditto, works fine for 3-4 hour rides. If I was doing 6-10 hour event then I would use my a Wahoo Elemnt

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A simple bike computer will fit your needs . Then write the date and numbers in a notebook when you finish a ride.

Rich68

Regular
Tbh, I'd not stress too much about it and measure your progress in terms of the number of times you get out. Speed and distance will come from that, if you want them to.
Totally agree..I am in the same boat. I have been doing about 30 min rides average on local bike paths. Keep it up!!. Also I use my Samsung gearsport. Today I used my phone for gps.

1) Simple ten quid bike computer and a spreadsheet.
2) If you have a "smart" phone get the free version of RidewithGPS from the app store. It gives a map of where you
have ridden, distance, max speed, average speed and altitude gained.

Mike

david k

Hi
1) Simple ten quid bike computer and a spreadsheet. 2) If you have a "smart" phone get the free version of RidewithGPS from the app store. It gives a map of where you have ridden, distance, max speed, average speed and altitude gained. Mike

I use several and they are all linked but for simply checking mileage endomondo is by far the best IMO

Pizza Man

Please can anyone give me any advice on how to measure how far one has travelled and average MPH on various cycle trips (apart from the obvious of using an old fashioned map and stop watch). As previously stated I am extremely new to this; having only completed 9 rides (averaging ½ hour duration's) so far; returning to cycling to get myself fit after a 48 year break (I am 63 and left cycling when I was 15) and I am finding it painful; but must endure. Things can only get better - hopefully!
I suspect that there are some type of phone apps or something that you attach to the bike.

I do appreciate that at this stage, it is probably something that I should not be concerning myself with, but just as a matter of interest and so that I may be able to observe any small amounts of progress that hopefully I will begin to make in the fullness of time.

Thank you in advance for any economical suggestions.

PS: The only silly questions; are the ones you don't ask or something to that affect?

I think it's a very good idea of yours to log these small but (in my opinion) important details. I too used to do the same just to keep a record of destination and mileage but stopped when my enthusiasm waned a bit. From what you've said, I'd just be looking at getting a cheap cycle computer that fits onto the handlebars. Either a wired or wireless version, what ever takes your fancy. Such as this one from Wiggle: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-velo-7-function-computer Also take a look in your local bike shop to see what they have.

If you wanted to go down the phone app route, there are many apps available. The free versions I now use are (in no particular order); Strava, Map My Ride, Ride With GPS. If you use the paid for versions (not that expensive apparently) then more features become available. Many, many other phone apps are available. When I use these apps, I keep the phone in my rear pocket on my jersey, I haven't the courage, or the space, to have an expensive item like this attached to the bars! You do need to remember to have plenty of battery life in the phone though. In comparison, the dedicated cycle computer battery can last a couple of years!

If you want to spend lots of money then there are dedicated GPS units that are designed for cycling and to be attached to the bars. From such makers as Garmin, Wahoo, Lezyne. Again, others are available. I don't know too much about these as I don't use one, although I did buy a second hand one some time ago and couldn't work out how to use it, even with the owners manual in front of me!

You say you're finding it quite painful. Why is that? An underlying problem? Trying too hard? Sore backside? Something else?
I should imagine most of us have suffered with a sore backside when we first started, give it time and it'll usually get better with time in the saddle. If not, may want to look at another saddle, or position on bike etc. Cycle specific clothing also helps, doesn't have to be close fitting lycra.
If you're putting your all into it every time, then don't. Your fitness will come naturally. Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing by keeping your rides short and regular for now.
If there's an underlying problem then seek the relevant medical help, i.e. GP, physio, osteopath, chiropractor, etc.

Whatever you do, just don't get too hung up on improving all the time, because you will have off days for no particular reason, and just enjoy the ride and being out in the fresh air.

Top Bottom