How to match calipers to brake system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello All,
Longtime rider, but very new to doing repairs - in fact, this is my first real bike repair task beyond the usual maintenance (pedals, seat, taping, etc). I'm attempting to fix up my Specialized Triple Allez Sport Triple (2010) (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/allez-sport-triple/p/22746?&searchText=9000-7949). I definitely need to replace the brake calipers. My understanding is that you should make sure the calipers work with your break system before installing. I see that the bike has Shimano Sora STI brake levers and I know from other forums that Shimano has a compatibility chart: https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?cid=C-453&acid=C-456. All good, but I don't see any number associated with the Sora system on my bike, so I'm not sure how to check my brake system against potential calipers to purchase using this chart. Does any have any advice on how to figure this out and any other sage advice on replacing the calipers? Thanks in advance!

Hello and :welcome:!
First, I'm truly surprised they would need replacing. While a bit fiddly, they are eminently serviceable. Check out dual-pivot brake service on Youtube. Assuming you do replace, any good dual-pivot set, particularly any from Shimano, should just bolt right on and work fine. My Sora-equipped bike currently runs 105 calipers, for example.

figbat

Slippery scientist
As above. Like-for-like caliper replacement should be fine (in other words, road-type caliper for road-type caliper) but are you replacing because of a problem or because you wish to upgrade? One thing to be aware of is the caliper 'drop' - the distance between the caliper mounting bolt and the wheel rim. Some calipers are 'long drop' and if so you'd need to make sure a replacement will also reach the rim.

That’s quite a useful chart. I was going to upgrade my shifters from Claris 2400 to R2000 but didn’t realise the front mech wasn’t compatible with the new shifter model.

OP
OP
notsospecialized
Thanks for the welcome! Let's just say I exposed the bike to way too much weather in the past 4-5years and more than a few parts got corroded. The calipers look really bad. I figured I might as well change them and learn something along the way. Thanks to everyone for the advice - I figure I'll go with some type of reasonably priced Shimano calipers then. It looks very similar - just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing

si_c

Guru
If replacing the calipers don't get anything too new Tiagra 4700 and any 105, Ultegra or Dura ace calipers are designed to work with a longer cable pull so will be relatively poorly performing with your brake levers. Sora R3000 should be fine.

OP
OP
notsospecialized
If replacing the calipers don't get anything too new Tiagra 4700 and any 105, Ultegra or Dura ace calipers are designed to work with a longer cable pull so will be relatively poorly performing with your brake levers. Sora R3000 should be fine.
Thanks!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Shimano have messed about with the cable pull recently (SLR-EV) but it's all interchangeable as long as you avoid those. The older SLR single- and dual-pivot calipers worked well with any levers I tried from other brands.

The main thing, only usually applicable to flat bar road bikes, is never to mix V-brake and "other" levers and calipers. The cable pull is vastly different.

Top Bottom