How to mount the SRAM dual drive on a turbo trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Howdo.

Buddy and I are needing to do some serious miles, and he's doing them indoors (whilst his arm and wrist recover from a nasty spill). I want to do them alongside him, so it looks like we're getting a pair of turbo trainers.

I was looking at the rim drives, as my rear wheel is caliper brake ready, but I'm on discs. Could be quieter than my tires, too.

So, at the back, I've got an SRAM dual drive cassette and hub gear. Popping off the click box, I see I don't actually have a traditional looking end to my axle underneath, so I'm worried I won't be able to mount the bike in the trainer successfully. Most seem to come with a QR axle, but I can't see how I'd fit that in the hub gear...

I'd use an exercise bike, but I'm on a recumbent SMGTe due to back injury.

We're not great, me and my mate :biggrin:

Any thoughts? At the moment I'm getting all Heath Robinson...

I don't think it's possible with the hub you are using. Your best option is a cheap new 'turbo trainer only' wheel and cassette. What size rim are you running?

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Its a 26" wheel, so nothing too hard to get hold of, I suppose. :biggrin:

I'd have to pop the clickbox off each time I wanted to change the rear wheel over, and the cassette is pretty much new so it shouldn't mess the chain up if I run it with another.

Actually, that would solve the issue of trainer tyres. Just means I've got a 1/3rd of the gears I have off the trainer.

Top Bottom