How to pack panniers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You could have a look at pictures from some of the modern (unsupported) "ultra races". Some folks ride with a lot less than that. Might convince you that you did indeed manage?

True but they seem to have multiple small bags as opposed to my one slightly larger one.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
True but they seem to have multiple small bags as opposed to my one slightly larger one.
I'm often tempted to go 'full bikepacker' over the usual four smallish panniers..

After all it is quite 'a look' :becool:

And I'm more than halfway there already, in terms of lightweight gear.

But all the strapping on and off and forgetting what I've put in each of the dinky little bags would probs drive me nuts..
(More nuts)

I might just do it yet, though, as my front panniers need a big ol' refurb - I think the UV damage may have rendered them beyond the point of fixing 🤔

Sallar55

Veteran
4 panniers wet, dry front. Flysheet and wet weather gear in one and inner tent and dry cycling gear in other. Rear 2, thermarest and s/bag in one and dry clothes in other. Food cooking gear and bits & pieces can go anywhere. Tools in tub as I have 3 bottle cages. If away for a while bar bag. Big rear panniers if a 4 season s/bag and warmer clothes are needed.

simongt

Guru
thermarest
Modern sleeping mats can be quite bulky. Can't for the life of me think what we used b4 they came along - !
I mind using a 6' x 2' groundsheet; most tents didn't have sewn in groundsheets then, but I don't recall getting particularily cold at night in my fleabag. :whistle:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Modern sleeping mats can be quite bulky. Can't for the life of me think what we used b4 they came along - !
I mind using a 6' x 2' groundsheet; most tents didn't have sewn in groundsheets then, but I don't recall getting particularily cold at night in my fleabag. :whistle:

You can get lightweight sleeping mats which are pretty warm, and comfortable, which pack down small, but they're not so tough .

I've one that's about 500g and takes up very little room , but you can't just chuck it down on the forest floor, and expect it to survive like the old ccf mats .

But it does give for a really good night's sleep after a long day, which is really important for having a nice trip imo..

You can't have everything, you have to prioritise.

Looking for a little bit of help packing my panniers.
I have a tour booked for cycling the Rhine and the Mosel rivers. It will be my first time doing a long tour.
How should I pack my panniers?
I’ll be using 2 front and 2 back panniers and also a bag on the handle bars.
What do you all put in each pannier?

Meaning no disrespect I don't get the folk who pack tents in panniers. It seems a waste of important real estate to me. My tent is often wet/muddy/sandy.

If you're new to touring I think a left/right balance is important, not so much for riding but for stopping and parking. Too easy for an unbalanced bike to fall over.

Organising clothing by coloured bag is a good idea, depending on how much you're carrying. It's easy to grab one bag and head for the shower knowing it has everything you need.

First aid kit should always be accessible. Blood stains, you know ^_^ And rain/cold weather gear.

Some bungees don't use hooks and I've had no problems with them. Useful things. As well as a clothesline one is currently holding my trousers up as a belt. My waist is the smallest it's been in a couple of decades😊

Trangias are great! Not the fastest but a great way to cook. Some small containers with sauces and condiments can really spice up a simple meal. Lots of places to stop along the way where you're going to brew up a coffee or tea too. Pack an extra cup and make new friends!

Some of those ultralight sleeping pads can make a racket! If possible try one out before buying.

At the end of the day we're all different and carry and pack differently. There's no one best way. Finding out what works is all part of the fun.

Have a great trip!

In the end, inflatable sleeping pads seem to fail. I use a 3/4 length inflatable with a separate short section of closed cell foam for my feet. The foam will never fail and is useful for sitting on wet, muddy or dirty ground.

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Meaning no disrespect I don't get the folk who pack tents in panniers. It seems a waste of important real estate to me. My tent is often wet/muddy/sandy.

If you're new to touring I think a left/right balance is important, not so much for riding but for stopping and parking. Too easy for an unbalanced bike to fall over.

Organising clothing by coloured bag is a good idea, depending on how much you're carrying. It's easy to grab one bag and head for the shower knowing it has everything you need.

First aid kit should always be accessible. Blood stains, you know ^_^ And rain/cold weather gear.

Some bungees don't use hooks and I've had no problems with them. Useful things. As well as a clothesline one is currently holding my trousers up as a belt. My waist is the smallest it's been in a couple of decades😊

Trangias are great! Not the fastest but a great way to cook. Some small containers with sauces and condiments can really spice up a simple meal. Lots of places to stop along the way where you're going to brew up a coffee or tea too. Pack an extra cup and make new friends!

Some of those ultralight sleeping pads can make a racket! If possible try one out before buying.

At the end of the day we're all different and carry and pack differently. There's no one best way. Finding out what works is all part of the fun.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the info. That’s giving me lots of good input. I especially like the idea of keeping a coloured bag for clothing/wash gear!
My tent will be attached to the bike.

This will be a learning process but we all have to start somewhere don’t we 😊

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thanks for the info. That’s giving me lots of good input. I especially like the idea of keeping a coloured bag for clothing/wash gear!
My tent will be attached to the bike.

This will be a learning process but we all have to start somewhere don’t we 😊

Citybabe I'm making a wild guess from your avatar that you're female
Apols if I'm wrong..

Bear in mind that as women we tend to sleep colder..
So sleeping bag and sleep mat ratings are to be taken with a pinch of salt, they're usually based on 'comfort' for an adult male,.

Also a generally wider hip width if you're a side sleeper will affect how comfortable you can get on a thinner mat..

Happy travels!!

we all have to start somewhere don’t we
Exactly!
My first tour I had the opposite problem to you! A company was carrying my gear from hotel to hotel and I had terrible trouble trying to figure out what to carry on the bike! 😊
There are no mistakes..... Just lots of learning opportunities^_^
I ❤️ the Rhine and France has always impressed me on the bike.

Have a great trip

Top Bottom