How to pack panniers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I nearly always go by train ( or ferry) first when touring.

I find having four smaller panniers easier for getting on and off public transport. by myself.

I'm curious, how do you find four smaller panniers easier to manage than two larger ones. What am I missing?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm curious, how do you find four smaller panniers easier to manage than two larger ones. What am I missing?

Because they're smaller, and fit more closely to the bike, so I often don't have to take them off the bike to load onto a train..
They can stay on bike even if I have to hang up on one of those hook things*

It makes the bike feel more balanced front to back..

The front wheel doesn't feel like it's going to lift up, especially going up steep hills.

I think I got into the early habit of front panniers for weight, to counterbalance child(ren) on back..

* I have very lightweight gear on the whole, same stuff as I carry for multiday hiking..

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Because they're smaller, and fit more closely to the bike, so I often don't have to take them off the bike to load onto a train..
They can stay on bike even if I have to hang up on one of those hook things*

It makes the bike feel more balanced front to back..

The front wheel doesn't feel like it's going to lift up, especially going up steep hills.

I think I got into the early habit of front panniers for weight, to counterbalance child(ren) on back..

* I have very lightweight gear on the whole, same stuff as I carry for multiday hiking..

Thanks. That's interesting. I'm looking at buying some Arkel Dolphin panniers with pockets and they are even wider than normal panniers so people comment about the difficulty of getting a bike through train doors with them on. I always thought manhandling four panniers would be a faff but your approach is the opposite. Something to think about. Luckily on my Airnimal I don't find only rear panniers makes the front want to lift. It did on my Ultra Galaxy though.

Having said this, I've just been on a Spanish train where I had to fold and pack my bike in a bag before I was allowed on the platform so the fewer bags the better on this occasion!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thanks. That's interesting. I'm looking at buying some Arkel Dolphin panniers with pockets and they are even wider than normal panniers so people comment about the difficulty of getting a bike through train doors with them on. I always thought manhandling four panniers would be a faff but your approach is the opposite. Something to think about. Luckily on my Airnimal I don't find only rear panniers makes the front want to lift. It did on my Ultra Galaxy though.

Having said this, I've just been on a Spanish train where I had to fold and pack my bike in a bag before I was allowed on the platform so the fewer bags the better on this occasion!

Yes it can tend to change a bit with every trip.

Spain mmn, I like cycling there.:smile:

Thinking about taking the train to South(ish) of France at some point before too long.

Which will involve bagging the bike.

I'm imagining I'll take more classic bikepacking type strap-ons for a lot of that .

So much of the luggage can be stuffed in the bag with the bike.

Then carry on the rest inside a rucksack..🤔

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
One thing to consider when camping is whether to cook or not. I have done both ways. If you are riding through civilization and have money, then eat out and travel light. If money is tight ,you want to explore wilderness or your trip is extended, then cooking is worthwhile. This varies from Just Add hot water to proper food preparation. I have carried a small kitchen kit complete with food knife, cutting board, wooden spoon, spork, herbs spices, stock cubes, oil etc, rice, pasta, veg and protein as well as stove, fuel. The weight and volume soon add up.
If you go non-cooking carry a plastic spoon for yogourt and a small plastic cup in case anyone at a campsite offers you tea.

I love carrying a little kitchen.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just occasionally an officious train guard will insist you take everything off :blink:
But it's not usually a problem..
As they should on routes likely to be busy with bikes! Without luggage, at least the advertised number of bikes will fit on a train. With luggage attached, that can easily be halved. It's only slightly less annoying than those idiots who insist that all bikes must face forwards, tangling the handlebars and also reducing how many can fit on.

So if you're travelling by train, please pack it so the luggage can be quickly unloaded onto the train's luggage shelf/rack, either by unhooking the panniers or by pulling drybags out of them and folding/rolling them up. If that's not how you usually roll, just repack the bike on the platform to be so.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Indeed, I wouldn't dream of taking up more than my fair share of space .

In fact the only time it's really been insisted upon, was when the train was half empty..
(ScotRail) No other bikes onboard ..

And the guard then seemed to be quite happy for me to reattach all items once it was all on the train..:blink:

One of those ones where there are diagonally arranged bars, to which you lash yr bike .Again bungies are good for that..:okay:

I guess he was having 'one of those days' That we all have from time to time .

I didn't really mind, I was on holiday, no big rush, no point arguing the toss, it was his train, his rules - and his train that was delayed by a whole three minutes while I pointlessly fannied about with my bags..

No one else seemed to mind either though, the scenery is distracting enough 😇

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One of those ones where there are diagonally arranged bars, to which you lash yr bike .Again bungies are good for that..:okay:
Oooh, I missed the first mention of bungees. They're dreadful, dangerous things that can injure unsupecting users when the hook flies back and can snag spokes and get terribly tangled. They're not even good at holding things down because the elasticity means it either allows the thing to bounce up after hitting a big enough bump, and it slowly rubs through the thing. I'd use a cam-buckle strap (or Arno or Rok or ratchet ...) or, if you really must, a bit of rope and a good knot.

The panniers themselves should be clipped or tied on. Bungees are only really for if the attachment breaks and you've nothing better.

Advice from an expereinced backpacker years ago was whern you get back from your trip, divide all the stuff you took into three piles; the stuff you used every day, the stuff you used occasionally and the stuff you didn't use.
Next time out, leave behind the stuff in the third pile, excepting things like tools or a first aid kit

That doesn't really work for things like clothing - weather is so variable, you could need totally different things from 1 trip to the next. And what about spares? No-one PLANS to have punctures etc

Baldy

Über Member
But he was a backpacker and a bike will carry a lot more, but there is the temptation to take too much because the weight isn't on your back. :whistle:

I really don't find the bike will carry more, or maybe I can't peddle it with more on it. I take the same tent, sleeping bag, kitchen stuff as when I'm backpacking. Only thing that changes is the amount of food. If I'm on the bike I'm on a road. If I'm on a road there will be shops somewhere. Only carry enough food to get me to the next shop. Backpacking however I tend to be far from the madding crowd. Far from any shops.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Oooh, I missed the first mention of bungees. They're dreadful, dangerous things that can injure unsupecting users when the hook flies back and can snag spokes and get terribly tangled. They're not even good at holding things down because the elasticity means it either allows the thing to bounce up after hitting a big enough bump, and it slowly rubs through the thing. I'd use a cam-buckle strap (or Arno or Rok or ratchet ...) or, if you really must, a bit of rope and a good knot.

The panniers themselves should be clipped or tied on. Bungees are only really for if the attachment breaks and you've nothing better.
Yes I'm aware of paniers being clipped on .
All present and correct in that dept..:okay:

I use bungees for attaching stuff to back rack, and it's handy to have a bit of elastication to stick waterproofs or drying washing under.

Managed not to do myself, or anyone else an injury with them so far..

Maybe everyday practical competence, around the farm leads to everyday practical competence elsewhere.?? :whistle:

Ha tempting fate there, watch me ping myself in the eye with a bit of fencing wire any moment now..

I really don't find the bike will carry more, or maybe I can't peddle it with more on it. I take the same tent, sleeping bag, kitchen stuff as when I'm backpacking. Only thing that changes is the amount of food. If I'm on the bike I'm on a road. If I'm on a road there will be shops somewhere. Only carry enough food to get me to the next shop. Backpacking however I tend to be far from the madding crowd. Far from any shops.

Same here, I don't see the need to take extra stuff, particularly if you've spent time (and money) paring your kit weights down for backpacking..

I'm quite happy on hilly rides, but I don't see the need to make life harder for myself by taking unecessary stuff to haul.

Still "bike your own bike" etc etc.

Drying clothes on the move is useful. I carry a mesh bag which can be lashed to something on the outside of panniers or rack.
You need to test that your panniers lock onto your rack effectively. Many racks are non standard and have bits that can prevent the locking tabs from engaging.
Speaking of locking tabs, modern pannier hooks should lock and the locking tab should be a separate part to the plastic hook. That way if the lock breaks the hook still holds. This is how Ortleib and Rixen & Kaul work.
There was a hook that acted like a claw,
: hook and lock in one action. The problem was broken lock mechanism = no hook so the pannier just falls down.

In 2015 I enjoyed a wonderful touring bicycle ride alongside the Rhine. if you want to read my story it is archived date is June 2015 and is posted on my website www.harlechjoe.wordpress.com

The guidance given by other contributors is sound advice.

The clothing inside my panniers is placed into separate eagle-creek storage bags. They help me organise and retrieve what I am looking for with ease - e.g. non-cycling clothes in a different bag to cycling clothes etc. Eagle creek bags also require me to fold items properly which in turn prevents bulging panniers.

Above all else,carry the minimum. There is a big difference between what you need and what you want to take and its best to avoid carrying extra weight in a hot climate. Have a great time !

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Just spent some time getting my panniers out and looking at what needs renewing. Can't find my herb and spices containers for my field kitchen which is annoying so will need more. Put a clean wash kit and microfiber towel in the pile. Got my pots and pans sorted. Need a new cooker I reckon. Can't do bare bones camping.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I wonder how I ever managed to tour using SYHA hostels with one Carradice saddlebag, a double bottle holder on the handlebars with one water bottle and a tin for snacks. A primus stove was carried on the crossbar and the billy can hung from the saddlebag.
Later with my wife we had two panniers each and a rack top bundle. The tent was a Black’s Good Companion and we had a couple of heavy air beds. A double sleeping bag saved some space. We only once travelled by train Edinburgh to Middlesbrough but used cargo boats Leith to Antwerp mostly until they stopped taking passengers.
Later I had a couple of trailers which encouraged overpacking. Not a good idea.

Top Bottom